Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 eye dominance in archery = same for rifle? >

eye dominance in archery = same for rifle?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

eye dominance in archery = same for rifle?

Old 09-09-2006, 08:46 AM

Default eye dominance in archery = same for rifle?

Recently I've purchased a new bow, to try my hand at bow hunting, and learned that I'm left-eye dominant. now starting out, it was pretty awkward, but now it's as natural as anything to shoot my lefty bow.

All my life I've shot rifles right handed. I was curious of those who shoot lefty bows, how they shoot their rifles? I'm considering trading up my rifle and whether or not I should switch to a lefty as well.

thanks
Old 09-09-2006, 09:18 AM

Default RE: eye dominance in archery = same for rifle?

you want to use your right eye if your right handed and your left eye if your left handed. as long as you blink one eye, eye dominance really doesnt matter. however, not all people can wink both eyes like i can . i can easily shoot a left or right handed rifle. but i doubt i could pull back a left handed bow as easily as i can a right.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:31 AM

thanks jhalfhill,

I guess I'm kind of a mutt, in that I eat/write right handed, but throw, kick, etc left handed, yet swing a batt, golf club, etc right handed... so I guess I just gotta go try out a lefty rifle and see what feels right. I think I'll probably stick with a right handed rifle though
Old 09-09-2006, 11:02 AM

I'm left handed but right eye dominant. I do almost everything sports related right handed. Some I can do with both pretty well though.

I think shooting a rifle with your weak eye is much easier than shooting a bow that way. Especially if you use a scope on the gun. I always tell people unless it is nearly impossible for them to shoot a rifle right handed to go that route. It is so much easier to find rifles in right handed models. However in archery you need the right equipment if you want to be good at it.

Paul
Old 09-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot both bows and guns right-handed, but I'm left-eye-dominant... I simply have always closed my left eye all my life. I was absolutely deadly on rabbits growing up (of course, I had enough practice though: we always kept a couple good beagles and probably shot thousands of them) and I qualified expert with the M-16 in the military.