Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What to wear while whitetail deer hunting >

What to wear while whitetail deer hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to wear while whitetail deer hunting

Old 09-03-2006, 10:11 PM

Default What to wear while whitetail deer hunting

I really dont know what to buy to keep human scent scaring off the deer. I know scentlok gear is expensive. Does anyone have advise to what to do about this problem i am having?
Old 09-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What to wear while whitetail deer hunting

Hunt the wind, put it on your nose or very least on your cheek and you'll save yourself a lot of money. If this isn't enough to ease your mind you can do a couple of things that may help:
1) store your gear in sealed rubbermaid orunscented garbage bags with field materials from the area (branches, dirt, acrons, etc). Then take the sealed unit withand get dressed in the field. This will of course not work the entire day, so you can buy the scent eliminator spray and spritz yourself while hunting.
2) use deer scent to help mask your own. Place 3 scent rags out in a semi circle around your location at varing heights (18-36" off the ground), in shooting lanes. Tip don't put it on yourself though!!!!

I shower in the am with ivory bar soap and use unscented arm and hammer for the pits and in the crock of my knees. Wind is the absolute for me, so whatever you may chose as well never forget this factor.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Typical Buck

I use unscented soap, shampoo, the whole works. I use scentlok for more confidence, but got along fine for years without it. Scentlok or not, you have to hunt into the wind. It's the only way to make the most of your hunt. It's a have to situation. I use scentlok in case of a swirling wind or sudden change for that added security. The scentlok doesnt make me walk with the wind at all though.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:00 AM

Skeeter pretty much covered it - good post. I'll add to wear what's comfortable withproper layersand stay away from cotton soyou don't get cold fromany moisture.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Anthony T.

Scentlok or not, you have to hunt into the wind.
Ditto!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:54 AM

ditto skeeter.. all was covered..

same here..
Old 09-05-2006, 05:34 AM
Dominant Buck

You can find any number of homebrew descenting spray recipes , and adding baking soda to the rinse cycle will also help . I use fresh Earth discs and Deer Dander for cover scents , they seem to work . Hunting the wind is always gonna be your biggest asset , carbon suits are just temporary confidence with a big price tag .
Old 09-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wash my clothes in baking soda and store them in a plastic bag.

I'll repeat it again;

Use unscented soap and deoderant and shampoo.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use scent free detergent and wash my clothes. Put in bag and vaccum seal until hunting season. (Wash them during hunting season also.)
I bathe in scent free soap.
Then hunt with the wind.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

Do you guys wash your hunting parkas? I just bought a decent one and was wondering if that is something to throw in the wash as well. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: What to wear while whitetail deer hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.