Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ballistic tip?

Old 09-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ballistic tip?

lookin to try some ballistic tip in my 300 WSM use for PA deer and black bear or do you recommend something else?
Old 09-02-2006, 08:26 PM

Default RE: Ballistic tip?

Ive tried the ballistic tips and i dont really like them cause i find they shot funny. At the range ill shot one then ill shot another and its a few inches higher then the next a few inches lower so i think they shot in a wavey type of way.What i use is nosler partitions and they work great and they mushroom perfectly too.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

You'll find a few on the board that like them, personally you couldn't give me a box.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Typical Buck

I dont like them in faster rifles like the 300wsm. Use the accubond. they will be just as accurate and perform better on large game like deer. Trust me. I use the 140 in my 7mm, use the 150 in your 300. it will give you what you want.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

(couldn't resist previous debates....lol).

I like the BT for deer sized game, however I wouldn't suggest them for black bear, tough hide/muscle tissue, big shoulder and shot angles/situation are why. Go with a Nosler Partition orAccubond, Barnes TSX, etc. Better suited for a bear and deer load vs the BT.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

(couldn't resist previous debates....lol).

I like the BT for deer sized game, however I wouldn't suggest them for black bear, tough hide/muscle tissue, big shoulder and shot angles/situation are why. Go with a Nosler Partition orAccubond, Barnes TSX, etc. Better suited for a bear and deer load vs the BT.
You again! [:@]

Lol, when this topic pops up, expect a couple pennies worth from me and ole skeeter! one of us must be sick, we agreed on something..
Old 09-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like them either for deer especially in a magnum rifle. At high velocities they tend to overexpand and fragment badly. They damage a lot of meat and often don't penetrate that well especially if they hit heavy bone. I have seen them give some spectacular dropped right there kills but god help you if the deer gets back up and runs.Because often they don't exit and no exit hole = no blood trail.

They are usually very accurate though but I would save them for varmits.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe in the Ballistic tip ... I took a 300+ lb WT buck in 04 with a 7mm08 130gr ballistic tip ..it sure did a job on him ..

dd
Old 09-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

I believe in the Ballistic tip ... I took a 300+ lb WT buck in 04 with a 7mm08 130gr ballistic tip ..it sure did a job on him ..

dd
mine aint 300lbs but i use the same set up and have seen everyone droop within 5 yards of the shot and that is out of 7 deer broke both shoulders
Old 09-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Typical Buck

Yea, but the velocity of a 7mm-08 and a 7mm mag are very different. The BT's are made for rifles like 7mm-08's and 30-06's. The accubonds are made for the magnums. BT bullets will expand too fast under higher velocity and very well can and will fragment when striking bone. I've had it happen not once, but three times!

This debate is simple really. BT's are designed for rifles shooting under 3000fps or for game theyre designed for with higher velocity. The bonded tipped bullets are the answer to the BT problem under higher velocity. I challenge anyone with a rifle shooting faster than 3100 fps to try a bonded tipped bullet before you try BT's. I think most would find that the vonded bullet goes well high high velocity and big game.

Quick Reply: Ballistic tip?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.