Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mounts

Old 08-27-2006, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Default Mounts

Since being on the board I have seen numerous mounts. Just curious to see how everyone picks the way their deer heads will be positioned. I myself pick my mounts as to how the deer was when I shot it. Whats everyone else do???
Old 08-27-2006, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mounts

I figure out a space on the wall that's available and figure the direction the head is turned. Next one will probably be a sneak mount.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I figure out a space on the wall that's available and figure the direction the head is turned. Next one will probably be a sneak mount.
Right on!Take poloroid pictures of the room and take to the Taxi so he has an idea on how to mount it according on the wall you are going to hang it on.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Diddo!
Old 08-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like to pic the pose that best shows the rack character. like this one, the pic dont show it very well but there is a 3" point curving down the back of this rack that is really neat and several points on the bur as well. this pose lets you see all of them. an upright would not on this buck. Dan
Old 08-27-2006, 05:22 PM

I pick the pose depending on the bucks rack. Any deer I kill that grosses over 170" gets mounted as a floor pedestal. I'm a real big fan of wall pedestal mounts and have been hung on them for a while. The only form that I will NEVER get done is a straight mount with the ears looking straight forward. Thats the most boring mount you could possible have. Plus I will never get a full sneak mount done because I think they look silly and when your looking at them on the wall you can only see the head and antlers of the mount. Most of the time I know how I'm going to mount a buck before I even shoot it. I'll look at trail cam pictures or video of the buck and will usually know what I want. I think eachbuck has its own form/pose that it should be mounted on which will make him look the biggest and most impressive as possible.