HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   PVC Pipe boxstand?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/153462-pvc-pipe-boxstand.html)

LaHoytguy 08-25-2006 09:14 AM

PVC Pipe boxstand??

Hey guy/gals I have been doing some searching online about making a pvc pipe box stand but have found nothing. First of all let me explain why I started this in the first place. I have a great hunting spot but it is at the back side of an older cutover.. The only way to get to it is some pretty hard 4 wheeler riding, goin through skidder ruts, tree stumps brush etc. No way in the world you could drive a truck back there, but I want a box stand back there! I started to buy a tripod stand and cart it back there but I just want more room and protection from rain. So then I thought hummm why not build a prototype with PVC pipe, then tear it back apart and haul it back there piece by peice and put it back up!!! I made up a drawing and looked like it could work, I decided to use 3" sch 40 pipe for the frame/floor and 2" for braces. I am going to have a A shaped roof I will probably put a tarp over and a hinged plywood floor, so I can fold it in half while hauling it back there, then run some wood screw into the pipe o hold it in place. Then paint it and wrap tarp or burlap around the box part of it. As far as it blowing over, I have a nearby tree I was going to lash it too or I thought of maybe using guy wires like they do in texas. Am I crazy or do you think this is a good idea??? If it works is any body intersested in the plans and parts list? Ha all my friends say I am just gonna bust my a$$ trying to do this. ITs going to be 4'x5' box, about 6'6" to the top of roof and about 11/12' to the bottom floor.
Whats your 2 cents??
Clint

sandilands 08-25-2006 09:25 AM

RE: PVC Pipe boxstand??

Good idea in theory! But how does the PVC stand up to the cold. I would hate to be 12' in the air and have one of the legs snap like a twig. Or are you just using the PVC for the top?

LaHoytguy 08-25-2006 09:37 AM

Yea good thinking! Good thing is that I hunt in south Arkansas so it doesnt get down in the teens very often. More like 40's maybe 30s in Dec. Of course there are times when it gets cold cold but on those mornings I have a honey hole I tend to go too on cold snaps. This is going to be a secondary spot for now. I called a plumbing supply place and asked how the PVC will hold up to sunlight and things like that, he said if I spray painted the stand it would last a long long time.

LaHoytguy 08-25-2006 09:37 AM

OH BTW, its the whole stand, ladder and all.

sandilands 08-25-2006 09:48 AM

I looked at your profile and it didn't say where you were from. Here in MB (CAN) it gets colder than a witches tit, -40 is not unheard of during the rifle season..... the norm being about -20, Thats why I thought of PVC as breaking. Good luck and I hope it works out, don't know why it wouldn't. Oh ya one more thing..... what about sound.... any movement and it might sound like musical instrument?:eek:

texas8point 08-25-2006 10:11 AM

i want to see a picture

LaHoytguy 08-25-2006 10:14 AM

I am going to buy some more material today and work on it more this weekend. I will try to get some pics posted. I thought if it works out I could sell the plans on Ebay!!! I will surely be rich huh, lol.

buttonbuckmaster 08-25-2006 10:20 AM

I would use schedule 40 4 inch if you do it. Thats what my potato gun uses for the chamber, if it will hold up to that, it should hold you up. BTW, with all that plumbing, may as well put a urinal in it that drains into the ground. :)

Wheatley 08-25-2006 10:46 AM

Why not build a platform from wood something that you know will hold up and then use smaller PVC for the walls and roof? I would feel much safer on something like that versus plastic.

I like the plumbing idea though;)

hermbo19 08-25-2006 10:53 AM

sounds sqeeeeeky........