Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What kind of bullet do you shoot? >

What kind of bullet do you shoot?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What kind of bullet do you shoot?

Old 11-07-2002, 02:16 PM

Default What kind of bullet do you shoot?

I am 34 and I have hunted since I was 9 yrs old. I have killed my share of deer with a gun, muzzleloader, and bow. But until 2 yrs ago I was ignorant to bullet performance. I always shot Winchester ammo because that is what my uncle that I hunted with always shot. We both shot 243Win. Very rarely on broadside shots would the bullet exit, it would just explode and the ribs on the backside would be full of lead shrapnel. Deer ran about 100 yds that was the norm. Two years ago I tried some Remington Core-Locs. I shot a buck at about 125 yds that ran only 30 yards and fell over. I couldn't believe the exit hole(2 1/2&quot. I shot two more with the same result.

Four years earlier I had bought a 270 to shoot 300-400 yard shots if I needed it. I had already killed 3-3 deer over 300 yards, so I didn't expect a problem. I had a spike(dress 100 lb) feeding in a field at 310 yds. I was shooting 130 grs in the 270, and shot him through the lungs when he turned broadside. He jumped up kicked his side and went back to eating! I thought I was dreaming. I bolted another round and he turned and was walking away. When I saw the edge of the shoulder I fired again. No reaction. He walked a total of 105 yards from where I shot him at first and fell over. When we dressed him the first round hit him dead center up and down but caught the back of the lungs. The second hit him three inches behind the first and went across and broke his left front shoulder(that was the one that he never faultered). I was heartbroken I stuck the gun in the closet and went back to my 243.
I am eager to try the Remington rounds in my 270 this fall after seeing what they did in the 243. I also hear really good things about Federal & Federal Premium Rounds.

Comments?
Old 11-07-2002, 03:11 PM

Default RE: What kind of bullet do you shoot?

Bobs,

The good old 243! You don't hear to many people talking about them, and most or alot of hunters would rather use a larger gun.

The Remington Core-Locs, did you shoot the deer with this ammo from your 243? I baught a box of these to use this season, last year I took deer with a 30-06, this year I will be using my 243.

Thanks for the post!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-07-2002, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I like Hornady spire point interlock. I shoot a .280 Rem, use 139grain handloads. They enter with a tiny hole, and exit with an excellent hole. I shoot a fairly hot handload....and the majority of them, don't run at all. The ones that do...don't go far. My brother in law shoots a 7mag, with factory Hornady 154gr (of the exact bullet type) and has excellent performance as well.
Bullet performance is definitely the key...no doubt. Some other buddies of mine shoot Nosler partitions and have excellent results as well.
There are many different "premium" bullets on the market that will fit the bill for a .270. Take a look and see what Hornady and Federal Premium make for your gun in factory loads in the 130-140 gr range...I would bet you'd be happy.

Old 11-07-2002, 04:17 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-07-2002, 07:13 PM

Used to handload Hornadys, but without a press set up, I'm using 130 gr. Nosler ballistic tips. I like the old Nosler partition bullets, but for a sometimes small East Texas whitetail they penetrate too much.

Regardless of the caliber, for a deer to take one in the boiler room and keep eating is probably just an example of weird but true hunting stories. I assure you, that a .270 will usually kill deer effectively (grin).
Old 11-07-2002, 07:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hornady interlock spirepoint in 140 gr. lt mag .270, best bullet I have ever used.

Old 11-07-2002, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Off the shelf Hornady or Federal premium. As far as style I like the Ballistic Tip, Boattails and SST by Hornady, just tried and like how they shoot, I am going to run them this fall for Whitetails out of my 7mm Rem Mag. (This is for deer)

Old 11-08-2002, 05:05 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot trophy-bonded bearclaws myself, but where I hunt I don't want to track one if I can help it. One or two hops off the shooting lane, and it's so thick a rabbit would have a hard time traveling! So I'm always aiming for straight through the shoulder shot to drop them in their tracks, the reason I shoot these bullets, is because if they do run I definitely want an exit wound. I use this bullet in a 30-06, 7mm mag, and .300 win mag.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:21 AM

Timbercruiser and I are bullet buddies;140 grain hornadys in the 270. I am going to try the SST hornady but don't want to change during this season. Always a larger exit hole,however all my shots have been in the 100 yard range or less.

Old 11-08-2002, 06:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: What kind of bullet do you shoot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.