Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dumb hunting laws!

Old 08-23-2006, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Dumb hunting laws!

Ok here we go, not sure if any has posted this yet this year or not but its a lot of fun.
In a recent article of Deer & Deer Hunting Magazine they mentioned the top 10 states that had stupid hunting laws and regulations. Wisconsin is one of the top 10.

Our stupid law in Wi is: While it is legal to shoot a buck or antlered doe in velvet, it is illegal to posses antlers that are in velvet.

This should be a fun post, Id like to see all 50 states and maybe other countries post their stupid hunting law. Lets have fun with this, and no making laws up.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Dumb hunting laws!

1.The law in many states that makes it illegal to go on someones property to retrieve a wounded or dead deer, even if they seek permission in advance and are accompanied by a game warden.

2. The law in Illinois that only issues lower priced out-of-state landowner deer permits to people who own 40 or more acres of land.

3. Opening rabbit season in Illinois in early November when its too warm to hunt them, then closing it in early January just at the time when the weather is great for it and it wouldn't be disruptive to deer hunters.

4.Allowing deer hunting with centerline muzzleloaders that could kill at buffalo at 300 yards, yet prohibiting low velocity centerfire rifles.

5.In Illinois, not allowing certain types of hunting within 300 yards of a house without the residents permission, even if you are hunting on your own land at the time.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

wow. thats messed up stuff.... lets hear some more people.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pa.
1.no hunting on sundays(that's a legislative issue not a PGC issue)
2.hunting hoursstart at sunrise when you can't see and end one half hour before sunset when there's plenty of light.
3.Not being able to carry a sidearm while hunting ,even if you have a conceiled weapons permit.
4.not allowing archery season to run stait through until the end of January.

I can live with most of our other laws.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh heres another one in WI. Its illegal to worry a squirrel, subjected to $150.00 fine.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Oh heres another one in WI. Its illegal to worry a squirrel, subjected to $150.00 fine.
What about when the squirrels worry the sh!t outta me....
Old 08-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

1.The law in many states that makes it illegal to go on someones property to retrieve a wounded or dead deer, even if they seek permission in advance and are accompanied by a game warden.
I assume this means that the property owner said "no" when the permission was sought. Not sure where I'd come down on that issue. While I'm sympathetic to the desire, as a hunter, to recover my game, I'm also sympathetic to the landowner's absolute right to control who can enter his property. If I was the landowner, I would authorize someone to go on my property to recover the game, although I would accompany him in trying to find it...

Oh, and I'm from Texas. We don't have any stupid hunting laws. Only a few stupid hunters with an "if it's brown, it's down" management philosophy...
Old 08-23-2006, 08:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ips,

Its never happened to me. I just think its stupid and would never dream of denying someone permission to do so, especially if they showed up at my door accompanied by a GW. Those who would do so under such circumstances have issues way beyond absolute control of their property, which is somewhat of a myth anyway.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

Well, until this year, GA had one!

It was legal to have a scope on a bow, but you couldn't have one on a muzzleloader!! Finally, this is fixed.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Ips,

Its never happened to me. I just think its stupid and would never dream of denying someone permission to do so, especially if they showed up at my door accompanied by a GW. Those who would do so under such circumstances have issues way beyond absolute control of their property, which is somewhat of a myth anyway.
I suspect that those who would deny access are probably PETA types who would, hypocritically, rather let a wounded deer suffer than tolerate a hunter on their land.

As to the myth, even ownership of land is a myth. We really only rent the property from the state/local taxing authorities. Anyone who is naive enough to believe they own their property should try not paying their tax bill... Then see how long it takes for the school district to foreclose...

Quick Reply: Dumb hunting laws!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.