Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

boring deer stands

Old 08-21-2006, 02:05 PM

Default RE: boring deer stands

Your post shows signs of respect. Not an all out demand, but I like the indications that are there. I believe it is safe to say that I like the direction in which you are heading.

Quick question for you. I cannot lie, I have a difficult time staying on the stand dark to dark. I usually have to head back to the tent (no cabin, no trailer, only a tent.....respect) and eat around noon. Guys, when you have guns just STARVING for nourishment, you have to keep those boys fed. So I go back and eat a couple of ham samages, bag of Doritos, 3 or 4 Kudos bars, a 20 oz Coke (Southern product....again respect), and maybe a few oreos.

But back to my question.....over the years, how much success have you had twix the hours of 11am and 3pm? Also, how old are you, what region of the Yankee infested north do you hunt, and what do you typically eat for breakfast day to day? Not just on hunting days, but every day. you can tell a lot about a man by what he eats for breakfast on a day to day basis.

Hope your family is well. What the heck is Under Armor?
Wolf,

That is one of the funniest posts i have ever read on this board in three years. Keep em comin' buddy, you are the RESPECTINATOR.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:13 AM

We normally are up early in our stands from 10-2 and leave grab lunch andgo back out until close.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:03 AM

I am with Matt, I have several stand locations. I may sit in one stand untile about 1100 go to another stand to have lunch and sit to about 1500 hrsand than may go to a evening stand. You will be surprised what a change of scenery will do. It works so wellthat I can't afford to shoot any more trophy bucks this year. Running out of space and money to mount them. I shot one big one last year in Pike Co. Ill. and it will be hard to top that one. 15 pts withmass.I don't want to mount anything less than I already have. I may just mount the antlers if a nice 10 or better comes by. Oh by the way1100 -1400 hrs is the best times during the rut. later
Old 09-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

focus...you will suceed
Old 09-19-2006, 04:22 PM

I have my dobts about all of you guys that say you never get bored at all. I truely enjoy hunting even when I don't see deer, but to say you have never been bored is amazing. Do you think you sound like you are a better hunter if you say you are never bored?

If I am hunting from the ground I take a nap once in a while. Honestly, I do it in the tree too (safety harness). I also play with my range finder checking distances. Durring gun season, when I sit all day, I listen to the radio(football and talk radio) and eat and sleep a fair amount. If I miss a deer because I fell asleep, so be it. I wouldn't have seen anything if I went in either. I have tried reading and playinga game, but I find it hard to focus my eyes when looking for deer after that. Maybe I need glasses.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a lot of BS being slung around here. If you mean to tell me that after hunting for a couple of months every day and not seeing much you are still excited and not bored after sitting for 5 hours your eather stupid or a lier. Period end of story. Now if you hunt only 1 or 2 days a week and don't really have the bug I can see sitting all day its the only way your going to put your time in. But for those of us who really hunt, every day of the season rain or shine I see most people do take a break in the non productive time of the year during the middle of the day andgo again. And a break is weather thats to another stand the truck or camp. Again after doing this for 40 years or so I was just wondering what you did to keep you on stand during those not so productive times of the year between 10-3