Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Average cost of processing a deer? >

Average cost of processing a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Average cost of processing a deer?

Old 11-06-2002, 09:08 PM

Default Average cost of processing a deer?

I was just wondering the cost, because I have never butchered a deer. Actually I have never even killed one, and if I do kill one, I would like to get it packaged professionally. Also, what all should be done to the deer before I take it to get it processed? Thanx a lot.

Oz
Old 11-06-2002, 09:28 PM

Default RE: Average cost of processing a deer?

Oz,

Well, I would at least field dress it first. But, some people will take the deer to the processor to gut it, I would not suggest this.

When you do harvest your deer and field dress it, keep it in a cool environment until you can get it to the processor. If the weather is not cool enough you will need to pack the chest cavity with bags of ice for the trip to the processor. Your hunting camp should have a cooler to keep game in at a regulated temp which is ideally about 45 degrees.

As far as the cost I usually pay about Sixty bucks for the top package.

Good luck on takeing you first deer!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!

Edited by - jred on 11/06/2002 22:29:09
Old 11-06-2002, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

In NJ or its just me I must go to the most expensive place around. I pay on average for my one guy to do it 75.00 and a new guy to do special stuff he wants 95.00. Yikes. BUt just atleast dress the deer and take it to him and you will be enjoying some good eating this winter.

Brian

Old 11-06-2002, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oz, you should REALLY gut it out first. Everything inside from the esofagus to the anus. Don't get urine on your meat (the deer's urine). Rinse chest cavity with some water when completed. Learn how to do it. It isn't that difficult. Most importantly...once game has been taken and gutted, the temp of deer should never increase! Always decrease the temp, little by little. Put some ice in chest cavity, then some more and more if necessary. I usually pay about a hundred bucks for processing with some sausage and brats maybe.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oz,

I live in Illinois. The 100 bucks I quoted is for southern IL. Up here around Chicagoland 150 is more like it.

I must have it wrapped double in the white butcher paper. Anything in plastic (ziplock or saran wrap holds in too much moisture (i.e. water) and ice crytals form right away. Leading to freezer burn much sooner.

My 2 cents worth.

Now....."Go Get Ya One!"
Old 11-07-2002, 06:38 AM

Down here in central Florida, it's hard to find a place that still does it. I have found one...he charges $45, but it has to be skinned and quartered first. I have yet to use him because if I have to skin it, I might as well finish it.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Eastern Washington. Most of the places around town charge .45¢/lb. You bring them the deer already skinned and gutted. Make sure you have it as clean as you want to eat it as they generally don't clean the animal at all.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Around here You gut it and take it to the butcher and he has it back to you within 2 days very nicely rapped and frozen for $50... I though that was a great deal... Well worth it considering all the butchering takes some of the fun out of hunting and makes more work... Good Luck....
Old 11-07-2002, 09:45 AM

We've paid as little as $45 for basic processing and as much as $190. The $190 was for the processors to pull the tenderloins and backstrap and make <u>everything</u> else into summer sausage and breakfast sausage (yielded approx. 150lbs). Pretty good sausage and not a bad price for what they did, but more than I want to pay. My processor will gut the deer for an additional $15, but I do it myself in the field because I think that the meat is better when the deer is cleaned asap after the kill. My guys prefer that the carcass is NOT skinned or quartered because they sell the hides.
You'll want to know where you're taking your deer before you shoot one. That way, you'll know how late they are open, what to expect pricewise, and also how the processors want to receive the deer from you.

Edited by - GoTres on 11/07/2002 10:55:53
Old 11-07-2002, 09:54 AM

My buddy has a shop and charges 50 to do the whole deer. 35 to do it if it's quartered. being his friend i just take some beer and he cuts it and i grind and mix my burger. i also tenderize my steaks and package. it pays to have friends that do these things i am hoping to have to buy a thirty pack saturday night. though i usually like to let it sit in ice for a couple days prior to processing i want some meat! i have done it this quick before and on young deer it is fine.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL

Quick Reply: Average cost of processing a deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.