Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Salt Blocks?

Old 11-06-2002, 07:10 PM

Default Salt Blocks?

My Dad and I have been thinking about getting salt blocks to set out on our acreage for the deer. We are thinking about getting some from out local feed store, but not sure if this is a good idea. Is there a certain ingredient that is best suitable that we should look for? I am not sure if the salt blocks that are for cattle would be good for deer.

Any suggestions.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Salt Blocks?

First off you need to check your area/state regulations on baiting. If baiting is illegal I would bet salt or mineral licks would be as well. Do the cattle blocks work, yes...but honestly I have found a large bag of plain table salt poured on the ground, follow up with a few jugs of water works dandy (as good) and last as long.

But either would work, but check with your local Game Warden if the use of salt, salt blocks are legal.

Old 11-06-2002, 11:46 PM

If they are legal and you think that baiting deer is ethical, then I have a bit of advice. In the block form, the plain white salt blocks (or iodized salt blocks) will last the longest in the weather. The trace mineral blocks are softer and will disolve quicker. Or you can do like Skeeter says and just pour the plain stuff on the ground and soak it in. Salt does tend to kill plants and grass, however, so use some caution. You can also purchase deer specific blocks that contain extra protein, energy and minerals needed for body and antler growth.

HuntingNet Member since Spring 2001
Old 11-07-2002, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I deffinatley agree with skeeter. Illinois just banned any kind of deer feeding. This was caused by the spread CWD. Wether or not you are going to be hunting that site, it is still illegal.

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad