Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shooting bedded deer

Old 08-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shooting bedded deer

I really never understood any ethical debate regarding shooting a bedded deer. Seems nothing like ground swatting or shooting a roosted bird.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:58 PM

if its legal, yes I would.

-Travis-
Old 08-15-2006, 02:20 AM
Spike

I think the only rule is dont shoot them when they are taking refuge in water. I dont have a problem with shooting a bedded deer. Just make sure the angle and shot placement is right.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:37 PM

Be forewarned. Shooting a bedded deer with a bow can be a little tricky. When a deer is bedded, the ribcage lays back at an angle and could cause a broadhead to deflect off the rib and follow along the inside of the skin and the ribcage no matter what kind of a point you have on your broadhead.
I agree. This is the only problem that I have with a bedded deer. Most of the time it's just a poor shot with bow.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I admire you guys who can close enough to a bedded deer with a bow and not get busted, that takes more skill than I have...[]
Old 08-16-2006, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is no ethical issue with shooting a bedded deer whatsoever! Ib bird hunting a roosting bird or a duck on the water, yes, thats not sporting! The "sport" of deer hunting is either getting close without being spotted, (which if its bedded, you've obviously done!) Or shooting a calm animal! Unless you are just one of the really good shooters, shooting a running deer would be much more of an ethical question than shooting a bedded deer. Also, what would be more unethical, shooting a bedded deer, or trying to make a super long shot? Not that long shots are unethical either!
Old 08-16-2006, 08:36 PM

I would, it takes a lot of talent to sneak up on most whitetails so reward yourself.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

I really dont even understand how this is debatable. Its a mute point to me. I will shoot every beeded deer I see. And in terms of legality, Is there a law against it?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

I know guys who carry a bow or cross bow on tractors during harvest season in Ohio. It is legal to shoot a deer from farm implements and sometimes you will see a big buck standing guard over a doe or bed down along fence rows. they will not spook because they are used to farm machinery and you can get within a few feet and get a shot. it's legal so why not? i would if the circumstances were right and had a shot at a huge buck. [/align]
Old 08-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just yesterday i snuck up on a cat with my .22, he wasnt even sleepin, just resting his eyes. I poked that cat with the butt of the gun and that thing made a noise like i've never heard!

I would deffinately shoot a beded deer

Quick Reply: shooting bedded deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.