Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shooting bedded deer

Old 08-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: shooting bedded deer

Would you take Momma in the bed ????????????
Old 08-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like I'm like most of the guys here on this topic. I believe it is 'ethical' to shoot a deer in its bed. I enjoy still hunting for deer. Easing as quietly as possibly using my eyes and binos more than walking. And sneaking up to within range of a mature deer, doe or buck, can be extremely challenging and if its done right, rewarding. My biggest buck to date in over 40 years of hunting was taken last year in his bed. He had to see me from his bed which was located in thick cover next to a fallen tree. Especially when I walk past him at about 35 yds. After going past him about 50 yds not knowing he was there and checking my back trail as I do alot, I noticed a color in the cover that was out of place. I stood there for about 2 -3 minutes looking through my binos almost sure I was looking at part of a deer. But it wasn't until he turned his head to lick his back that I saw the rack. I couple of cautious repositioning steps and one shot from my 7mm-08 and I was filling out my tag.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

I believe it is apart of deer hunting. I think you have more of an advantage shooting a deer sitting 20 feet in the air waiting for them to walk under you to shoot them, than to try to enter their secure bedding area and shoot them. I walk corn every year with my bow. It is very tough to sneak up to a deer but once you've done it, it is veryrewarding. My biggest buck taken, I snuck up on while he was bedded with a doe on a fence line. It took mealmost 3hours crawling on my belly to get three yards behind him and get to my knees and take him. That was the most challenging hunt that I have ever had, and the most rewarding.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Another thing to ponder. Is it more ethical to sit 20 feet up in a tree on a well used trail and ambush a deer or challenge him on his own turf and eye level?
Old 08-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Dominant Buck

In Fl, we cannot shoot Swiming Deer orfrom a moving vehicle, or any buck with less than 5" spikes,but unless I over looked it, it doesn't say anything about while laying down. We also can't shoot Turkeys while on the roost.

Asking me this question is like asking me if Iwould shoot a duck in the water..NO, would I shoot Quail or Doves on the ground....NO, theres no law in my state that forbids it, but I don't see the Spotmanship in it,would I shoot a Hog laying down...YES.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would I shoot a turkey on the roost? no. Would I shoot a deer in its bed? YES. The only times I've ever seen deer on their bed is after I've spooked 'em out of it. If I was lucky enough to get close enough to a deer and had a clean shot at it, I'd go for it.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Boy That sure is a tough one I really don't know if I would or not.
I geuss time will tell on this one if I get a chance this fall.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:44 PM

In the past two years, I have been easing through the woods and ended up within 50 yards of bedded deer. One was a certifiable wall hanger, big and wide, at lease 8 points. As I brought the gun up to shoot, I found that my scope had completely fogged up. I sat there, almost in tears as I watched him for about 5 mins lay there and eventually get up and walk away. He never knew I was there. I will never forget that I was.
The second time I was easing through a draw full of kudzu. I was scanning across a draw and saw what I thought was a bare stick coming out of the vines. I looked through the scope and saw an pretty good size cowhorn spike. He eventually saw me, but I think he thought he was hid well enuff that I couldn't see him. I could have easily popped him. I he had a good rack, I would have.
So, I think I am like most guys, If I am good enuff to get that close and it is a shootable deer, I figure I did my part.
R
Hank
Old 08-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tschammel

I believe it is apart of deer hunting. I think you have more of an advantage shooting a deer sitting 20 feet in the air waiting for them to walk under you to shoot them, than to try to enter their secure bedding area and shoot them. I walk corn every year with my bow. It is very tough to sneak up to a deer but once you've done it, it is veryrewarding. My biggest buck taken, I snuck up on while he was bedded with a doe on a fence line. It took mealmost 3hours crawling on my belly to get three yards behind him and get to my knees and take him. That was the most challenging hunt that I have ever had, and the most rewarding.
that sounds like a very exciting adventure there. good job.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry guys I don't see the problem here. I don't shoot from a truck, I don't shoot deer slightly off the road and I don't take unethical shots. But growing up in Colorado I have hiked my share of mt. peaks. Most several miles from the nearest road or trail.If I can sneak to within a good 50 yard shot of a bedded buck I know I worked for him. Have shot several over the years just that way. Nothing in my book is unethical or unsporting about that. But at 50 more sleeping deer are getting safe.

Goatslayer

Quick Reply: shooting bedded deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.