Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Funnels

Old 08-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Funnels

I've shot 11/14 mature bucks in some type of funnel. My favorite one is a creek bottom between two doe bedding areas, during the rut. On each side of the creek is a crop field. Each end of the funnel is a block of woods/cover. The creek bottom is 40-60 yards wide and spans for 200 yards before hitting the cover. It's like sitting on a main highway between two bars. You wait until the right guy comes along looking for a gal at the next bar, then you let him have it.[:-]
Old 08-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Terrrain , deer always take the path of least resistance unless fleeing or bedding . If a nice clear gully takes them downhill right next to thick cover they'll choose the gully.
I agree! Unless pushed otherwise, deer are going to take the path of least resistance. The ideal places are where funnels come together with one or more, "edge areas," like clear cut/ big woods borders, and crops. Put any of these together with a creek bottom and a fence row, you are going to have a great place!
Old 08-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

I read a small part in an article about fences that I thought was interesting and makes sense to me. It is a well know fact that deer will walk an extra distance in order to cross a low spot or hole in a fence. What the author mentioned was to cut out a longer portion of fence (maybea section between posts or two sections even)creating a larger, but still small, funnel. His contentions were that deer are a little more relaxed and tend to meander around in this larger cut portion of the fence because they feel less pressure to get over/through it quickly. To me this makes sense, especially if there's more than one deer. Just food for thought.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:03 AM

I appreciate all your help.
I have have one spot that I have already scouted and plan to hunt. Its a creek bed running north to south that connects a swamp (mostly hemlock) to another wooded area that contains a bedding area and a little more swamp. This low creek bed runs between two pastures and is about 40 - 50 yds wide by 75-100 yrds long. Its entirely wooded eccept 1 tractor trail connecting the 2 pastures. There are a few apple, and crab apple trees within the funnel itself, and at the north end there is a 20-25 acre corn field that extendsabout 100yds into the woods.Not far off the edge of the northern side of this cornfield there isa bedding area. I have found a couple good stand locations 1 at the south end where the funnel starts projecting out of the swamp by an old fence line 1 in the middle of the funnel and 1 in the north end just off the lower back corner of the corn field by the bedding area.
This seems to me to be a real good location. What do you guys think? The only problem is I didn't see much last years buck sign when I scouted it about a month ago. Only a couple good rubs. What are your oppinions?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:11 AM
Dominant Buck

That sounds like an excellent funnel , and one that would be difficult to "burn out" as well . Creek bottoms are always a good bet by themselves as they provide both water and travel cover , throw in those food sources and bedding areas that will attract the does and you've got a very good spot . If you've seen rubs there before you'll soon start seeing them again , bucks are creatures of habit . Of course , it wouldn't hurt if you were to stir the pot by making some mock scrapes and rubs . If you can get an aerial pic of the place it would help to evaluate it , a topo would be nice too .
Old 08-09-2006, 07:30 AM

What about during the regular season whe the deep are pressured. What type of funnels should I be looking for to catch a big buck sneaking around?
Old 08-10-2006, 06:14 AM

Any body?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Same place , but change your stand locations and hunt the patch a bit less . The idea is for the deer to associate your patch with less pressure than it's surroundings . Once they find that yours is only occasionally "hazardous" they'll stick around more . Bow hunting would be an ideal method for keeping the place "working" without burning it out .
Old 08-10-2006, 11:59 AM

My concerns with hunting this location on the opener of rifle season is that with the swamp being as thick as it is there may not be enough hunting pressure to push the deer out of it, they may simply circle around within it (this swamp is roughly 50-75 acres is mostly hemlock, and has fairly thick and steep side hills above it that have been loged about 10-15 years ago) and the piece of woods that it connectsis about the same size, and I don't believe there is alot of hunting pressure in it. once or twice each year i know that the entire ravine is driven from south to north.
Under pressured conditions, am i correct in my thoughts that a mature buck would be more likely to utilize a funnel created by thick cover within the woods rather than a funnel such as a more open ravine?
Old 08-11-2006, 05:54 AM

Anyone have any comments or thoughts?

Quick Reply: Funnels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.