Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods??? >

Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods???

Old 08-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods???

I started bowhunting alone when I was about 14. My grandpa had always told a story of seeing a panther one night when coonhunting on his farm by lantern light. He swore it was true, but no one really believed him. One morning while sitting in my stand beforelight I heard a horrible screaming noise. It sounded like a woman screaming, which is what I have been told a panther sounds like. The noise was coming from across the clearing from me and the cattle over there were going wild. It was still pitch dark-I couldnt even see the base of my tree and it scared the crap out of me. I wanted to leave but I didnt dare move out of my stand. As soon as it got light enough I left, but never did see or hear anything like it again.
This was in northrn Missouri by the way, and about 20 years ago. Bobcats are common around here now and I know that was what it probably was. At the time I was scared as hell, but I consider myself honored today to have experienced that when no oneelsebelieved that there were such things around here.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Yes Ive been scared after I fell 20 ftclimbing down out of my tree stand. No one around. I ended up with a broken back but I got myself out of the woods.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:20 PM

I got scared a few times walking in and out of the woods when you damn near step on a bedded deer about 1-2 ft away and they jump up and take off running. Or when you spook some turkeys nested in a tree and they take off and all the sticks come falling down.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

im kinda afraid of the dark haha... but i still get out there before the sun comes up! i always have my gun, and a flashlight, so its all good
Old 08-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

I am not so much scared but i do watch my back because about 5 years ago me and one of my friends were bowhunting and I was nestled down in a hole watching a wheat field with 6 doe and 1 buck and my friend was only about 75 yards away watching a fence line. Well anyway he was turning to signal to me that there were some deer headed his way and then he just screamed my name when i turned around there was a cougar practically coming right for me only about 60 feet away... I was so scared by the timeI got my bow pulled back he was out of there.. Now as I think about it he may not have ever seen me and was just going for the deer but either way I still watch my back...
Old 08-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

i hate skunks, lol especially at night when you can see s*&^ and I hate flushing out ground birds in the dark too, and owls will also make you jump at night
Old 08-06-2006, 03:15 PM

I was scared once when i forgot my TP, other then that theres really nothing in thewoods that i worry about[8D]
Old 08-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh yeah, many many times......walking in to my stand, water mid thigh deep, dark, don't know where the gators are, where the snakes are, even the thought of walking up on a hog in the dark with just a bow freaks me out....now if i were with someone it wouldn't bother me a bit...
theres been3 times i have been really scared to the point i thought i might cry, lol.....the one time was walking out of the freakzone and theres no bright eyes, someone took them all down...well i was ok, i had my light, then my light went out and i had no clue how to get out, one wrong step and i could of been heading to the river.....i freaked, called fl.huntress and she asked me where i was , i told her, she said look to your left, you'll see this tree and I DID, then she talked me out until i got to the trail, then she told meshe took the brighteyesdown because she was afraid someone might follow them in and find the frk.zone......
the other time i was hunting a friends stand and i heard this heavy breathing, it was loud, i called everyone i could, but they couldnt hear it on the phone, every hair stood upright with each snarly breath..is snarly a word? lol....anyway it did it for more than an hour, took me another couple of hours before i mustered the courage up to climb down....never did see it, but pretty sure it was a bear from audio i have heard.
the last time , i was walking through the marsh, just me and my bow, it's a lil after 4:00a.m., i heard something coming towards me , i yelled at it, it kept coming,i yelled some more, i was at least a mile form where i had to be, so i didnt care, lol...now i know it's not a hunter, i was the first one at the parking area and i hoofed it back,but it didnt sound like a hog or deer and i knew the deer probably would of bolted....well i almost turned and ran back to the road, but i decided to run foward and i made it to my stand....the walk got easier as the days went on, but that first mornign was horrible.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:55 PM

on one of my first ever hunting trip a school mate of mine took me squirrel hunting. we arrived at the place and he told me to climb this hill,when you get to the top there is a large field and about 150 yds in the filed is a patch of woods and there are a lot of squirrls in there.i climb the hill and make my way into the patch of woods,being still before daylight i lean against a tree waiting on shooting light,then i hear it. a growling noise off to my right,then it come from straight head.a minute or two later back to the right and then around behind me. my mind is racing that something is circling me for the attack.i flip the safety off the old mossberg 16 ga shotgun.a couple more time i hear the growling.but i hold my ground,as daylight come and i start making out objects around me i realize that a herd of black angus cattle can't be too harmful.the noises i was hearing must have been stomachs churning but it didn't matter theni had already been shaken.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

yeah im a little leary of the dark also

Quick Reply: Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.