HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/150478-have-you-ever-been-scared-woods.html)

BargainTrophies.com 08-04-2006 07:49 PM

Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods???

Saw this topic posted on another board (http://www.aldeer.com) and it generated some funny stories. Here's the specific thread URL: http://www.aldeer.com/al_ubb/NonCGI/...;f=22;t=005268

So, let's hear about your experiences....

mobow 08-04-2006 07:57 PM

RE: Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods???

My brother and I were quite young at the time. If recollection serves, we were 10. Dad turned us loose on evening to hunt squirrels on our own, and I believe that our first trip to the woods w/out him. So there we were, sitting as still and quiet as we could be, frantically searching for that squirrel that would get us home quickly. We kept hearing something in front of us that sounded like something walking in the leaves. At first, we were excited, hoping a big fat grey squirrel would show his beady little head for our .22. Nothing. But the noise didn't stop, either. Well, by now it's getting dark, and we have somehow managed to convince ourselves that surely there was a black bear just ahead waiting to eat us for dinner.

We hightailed it out of there. We made the 200 yard dash across the field to the house and out of breath exploded through the door. Dad could tell we were shakin over something so we told him a bear was in the woods. As you can imagine, he had quite a chuckle, grabbed his flashlight and offered to help us hunt down that killer 1000 lb Kodiak that surely had migrated from Alaska. We head to the oak we had taken refuge under, and sat quietly. We could still hear it, and dad heard it too. OK, now we're like really flipped out. Dad made us follow as he approached the sound. Folks, it was the damn creek that runs through the woods!!! There's about a 5 foot waterfall and the "bear" we heard was of course the water toppling over the falls. Man, what a riot!!

txjourneyman 08-04-2006 08:02 PM

The only thing I'm scared of is soap and water and then only if ya mix 'em.

Tigerfan 08-04-2006 08:13 PM

Shoot yeah. About 4 years ago I was bowhunting in a hardwood bottom way back in the woods. All I had was my bow and 3 arrows and a little flash light (basically useless). I try to stay about 20 minutes after good dark before I come down the tree. It was time for me to come down so i let my bow down and started my descend. When I got to the bottom of the tree I grabbed my bow and took a step and heard the God awfullest sound I have ever heard in my life. It ran cold and echoed off the trees in the darkness. Well needless to say it scared the bejeezes out of me. I thought about going back up the tree until someone came to look for me but, no one new exactly where I was and it would be at least 2 hours before someone would get worried. I am a at least 1/4 mile from my truck but I have to go right by a 16 ft box stand so I figured if I could make it to there I would be ok and could wait it out. I got about 5 steps and heard it again, this time it seemed louder and closer and it was coming from the general direction I was headed. I had never heard anything like this in my life, it rang cold everytime I heard it. My heart was pounding and I was in a near panic run by now. I am not sure how long it took me to get to my truck that night but, I can tell you I have never run that fast for that long in my life and I was in the Marines. Well i get to camp and I am telling everyone about my encounter and no one can tell me what it was and I thought I was imatating the sounds pretty good.
The next morning I get up and I am going back to the same tree but, this time I grab my .357 and head out. I get up my tree and just settle in when I hear it again still in the same direction and just as loud as last night. I am trying to figure out what all is in that direction and it finally hits me. About 1.5 maybe even 2 miles away there is a house and they have a Jack ass. Well he was baying and I felt like an idiot. I sat there and just laughed at myself. It is amazing the tricks your mind can play on you when you are in the dark and in the woods with a dim flashlight. The funny thing about is we never did find out what that sound came from back at camp. It just misterously disappeard.

c j 08-04-2006 09:39 PM

lmao, Tigerfan! :D(not at you, but because I can relate.) Our family always had horses as I was growing up and when I was in college my dad traded a mule for a jack. If you've never heard one - or just weren't familiar - the sound those jacks make is ungodly.

duckcommander727 08-05-2006 07:47 PM

well when i killed my first i was near a trailer park just shot the deer well a darn screech decided to land 2 yrds from and just starts hollerin i was so scared i could have shot him i nearly peed my pants funny but scary and quail scare me pretty often

chuckclear2000 08-05-2006 08:07 PM

Every time I flush a ground bird like a pheasant before light on my way into the deer hunting woods!! Scares the crap out of me!

jonnyslim 08-05-2006 09:46 PM

One night i as i was walking out of the woods i had a young fork practically follow me out of the woods. Was a little worried that he was going to try and mount me! The Tinks #69 worked a little too well that night.:D

deerslayer270 08-05-2006 09:59 PM

no real stories from me yet but i dont know why i always feel uneasy in the woods by myself...if i have my rifle im fine but when im bow huntin or scoutin especially im always freaked...too many horor movies i guess....

wayomic 08-05-2006 10:06 PM

Not necs scared, but wired up and super causious, and only once.
It wasn't at "home" but when I was visiting a friend in Montana.
While we were camping up in the mountains near Beartooth, she stopped by the trail and said "Jim, you remember to pack your pistol?"
I lookedover to where she was looking and saw a BIG pile o' crap on the ground and a tree with some gnarly clumps of brown hair stuck to the bark. (hence the name "Beartooth" maybe)
I was double taking on every sound and shadow the rest of the day.