Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

10mm or 45acp

Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 10mm or 45acp

Nothing wrong with shooting a deer at close range (within 15 -20 yds) with a .45acp. I've done it on does using cor-bon ammo and it did the trick. You hit them in the heart and lungs and they'll go down.
I mostly carry mine with me when rifle hunting and, if the opportunity comes up, may want to use my .45.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

super black hawk 44mag. i wouldn't go with anything else, unless its a thompson contender loaded with a .243 or something like that.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:21 PM

I'll answer why an auto. Basically, I have a Blackhawk in .357. Not opposed to moving up to the SBH in .44mag, but can afford limited number of guns. If I could have only one, it would have to do duty as deer gun and carry gun for backpacking. So, for the latter reason, would prefer a little tighter carrying package.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: houtsdg I'll answer why an auto. Basically, I have a Blackhawk in .357. Not opposed to moving up to the SBH in .44mag, but can afford limited number of guns. If I could have only one, it would have to do duty as deer gun and carry gun for backpacking. So, for the latter reason, would prefer a little tighter carrying package.
just not connecting here dude.

need double duty for deer and packing?

Why wouldn't a wheelgun fill that nitch?

Something like a tracker in .44 spl or mag would do wonderfully. Heck wheels come big as .50 now.

And that .357 will probobly do better than the .45acp/10mm with equally well placedshots..
Old 08-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Both are poor choices for deer but excellent for self defense. However for double duty, the 357 Mag would work well. I have the 44 Mag Taurus Ultra lite revolver for that duty. 26 Oz but six rounds of very effective deer medicine.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: James B

Both are poor choices for deer but excellent for self defense. However for double duty, the 357 Mag would work well. I have the 44 Mag Taurus Ultra lite revolver for that duty. 26 Oz but six rounds of very effective deer medicine.
Dont ya just love Taurus!!! Sweet guns.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:01 PM

Both calibers will kill deer. We are talking bow rang here right?
25yards to 40 or 50. My 10mm will do a number on a deer.
Question for you is do you hand load? If not the 45 would
probably be a better choice. More loads out there, easier to find
and cheaper. But if you do hand load the 10mm can be a screamer.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:21 PM

Both calibers will kill deer. We are talking bow rang here right?
25yards to 40 or 50.
Yes, 50 would be max for me for several reasons.
1. Iowa is a shotgun only state, so since I am not accurate with my iron-sighted slug gun beyond that, it is what I am used to.
2. I'm new to the handgun game, so my accuracy is still going and I will not be using a scope -- I will be keeping things close.
3. My usual stand location and the deer lane through it does not allow for much longer shot.

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:37 AM

I would say you are going to be better off going with the 45.
You are going to need to shoot the thing and practice. It is
a lot easier to find 45 ball ammo to practice with than cheap
10mm ammo. And if you decide you want to trade it or sell it
a 45 is going to be a lot easier to find someone interested in it.
Having said that, buy the one you want; they will both kill
deer. I've shot deer with both calibers and they worked well.
You just need to know the limitations of the gun and yourself.

And if you are new to pistols I'd suggest you buya good 22 pistol, a couple of bricks ammo and shoot the heck out of the thing. 22s are so
much cheaper to feed, and great for getting the basics down of sight alignment and trigger control.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rocketman250r I would say you are going to be better off going with the 45. You are going to need to shoot the thing and practice. It is a lot easier to find 45 ball ammo to practice with than cheap 10mm ammo. And if you decide you want to trade it or sell it
a 45 is going to be a lot easier to find someone interested in it.
Having said that, buy the one you want; they will both kill
deer. I've shot deer with both calibers and they worked well.
You just need to know the limitations of the gun and yourself.

And if you are new to pistols I'd suggest you buya good 22 pistol, a couple of bricks ammo and shoot the heck out of the thing. 22s are so much cheaper to feed, and great for getting the basics down of sight alignment and trigger control.
Excellent advice. Excellent advice we don't see often enough on here. Whether pistol or long gun, the good old .22LR is a greatway to keep your eye and skills in tune.There are .22 conversion kits available foralot of the .45s so you can shoot .22 out of your .45 frame.

Quick Reply: 10mm or 45acp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.