Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 how to sight in Remington 1187 26" special edition with extended rifled sabot choke tube? >

how to sight in Remington 1187 26" special edition with extended rifled sabot choke tube?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how to sight in Remington 1187 26" special edition with extended rifled sabot choke tube?

Old 07-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default how to sight in Remington 1187 26" special edition with extended rifled sabot choke tube?

I have only shot 5 slugs out of this rig at 40 yds to a newpaper hanging from a bush. I only hit it once! How do I improve, what do I do next? Thanks for the help...I was using Winchester 12 ga. sabot slugs I think
Old 07-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how to sight in Remington 1187 26" special edition with extended rifled sabot choke tube?

I'd start closer, like15-20 yards, then once you're on paper, steadily move out.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: how to sight in Remington 1187 26" special edition with extended rifled sabot choke tube?

Be prepared to use different kinds of slugs till you find one your gun likes. Do you have a scope?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: saltflyz I have only shot 5 slugs out of this rig at 40 yds to a newpaper hanging from a bush. I only hit it once! How do I improve, what do I do next? Thanks for the help...I was using Winchester 12 ga. sabot slugs I think
IMO absolutely know what you are shooting. Don't think - KNOW!

Then, if you're not flinching (are you?) -get a bigger "newspaper". Large cardboard boxes work good.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you say special does that mean a rifled barrel? I personaly would mount a scope on it an if it dosen't have a rifled barrel I'd get one for it. Sabot slugs would be the way to go. Then Lightfield recommends sighting in at 2 in high at 50 yards. I have an 11-87 with a rifled barrel and thats exactly what I did. Works pissa!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for the replies...I do not have a scope, but am considering one- how powerful would you suggest??...the barrel is smooth, but the extended choke tube is rifled...they were winchester sabots...I hear the lightfields are sweet...I like the box idea....thanks for the help
Old 08-01-2006, 09:30 AM
bigcountry

I mean no offense and am not belittling you. But you sound as if you may have limited experience. Nothing wrong with that. I first suggest getting some foster type slugs. Maybe sluggers and do alot of practice to get a feel of what you can and cannot do. Good cheap ammo, and works great. Second, do you have rifle sights or a bead? If you have a bead, all your going to be able to get effectively is 30 yards. I have hunted with a bead before, and the bead takes up the whole side of the deer at 40 yards. If you want to go beyond that, tru glow and several other companies offer sights for a gun like that.

If your going to be hunt alot with shotgun consider a rifled barrel. I got one for my 870, 1187 and now use a browning gold. I never used a scope for years until the last 5. Still use my 870 with rifle sights if I know I am not shooting over 60 or so yards.

With a smooth barrel, you can really benefit from the foster type slugs.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

no offense taken- I have always shot buckshot...never slugs. I do not have a sight, but do have a bead- my barrell is smooth 26" and I have an extended (5") rifled choke tube...the guys said this is all you need and to shoot sabot slugs...sounds like I need a scope and to try lots of different ammo...thanks again- how powerful a scope do you all suggest
Old 08-01-2006, 11:12 AM
bigcountry

I sure don't recommend a scope. They are expensive and change POI on a gun like yours. Money better spent buying a barrel with rifle sights and rifling.Or spend a little more and cantilever barrel with a scope. I only use 1.5-5 power.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

With a smooth barrel, you can really benefit from the foster type slugs.
I think he said he's using a rifled choke tube though.

Quick Reply: how to sight in Remington 1187 26" special edition with extended rifled sabot choke tube?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.