Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

30-30

Old 07-28-2006, 11:45 PM

Default 30-30

What type of ammo would you use for a 30-30 on deer? shots are no more then 120 yards. Keep in mind this 30-30 is a bolt action not lever. What size grain bullet/ thanks
Old 07-29-2006, 01:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30-30

do you handload? if not you might try the hornady leverevolution ammo I hear the stuff is first rate factory ammo. my personal preference before I started handloading was 170 grain remington core lokts my marlin 30AW shoots them very well. now that I began handloading I use 170 grain sierra pro hunters they also shoot very well from my 30-30 my gun just seems to prefer 170 bullets i think. but if you do handload and the rifle being a bolt action you would beable to load pointed spitzer style bullets which would deffinately enhance the performance of the cartridge.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like the 170 core lock it works great in the brush and has brought
down some big deer for me.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:31 PM

cool. Thanks guys, I dont handload, Ive hear good things about hornadys new stuff for levers.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another good one to try is Winchester Silvertip 170 grain. I use them along with Remington Core Lokt's. A great place to check out ammo and reviews is at midwayusa.

http://www.midwayusa.com

Click on ammo, then find rifle ammo, 30-30, etc...etc... and check out all the makes and reviews.

Enjoy the 30-30! I love mine and won't part with it. It is equally at home in the deer camp with the other guys and their ultra-magnum-thunder-boomers.

They all are on the ridges and could have 200 yard shots. Meanwhile, I'm in the heavy woods and thickets, where I'm going to have probably a 50 yard shot. If they jump one and he heads to the thickets, I got him. Just as if I jump one and he heads out of the thickets to the ridge tops, they got him. We all work it out that way...

Old 07-29-2006, 07:17 PM

Im inheriting this 30-30 from my uncle, I have a 30-06 but Love the 30-30 caliber, its gonna be for my dad, he can't really handle alot of recoil, so the 30-30 is just enough for him. Hunting over here in washington is pretty thick (western wa) anyways cant wait to get it and take it to the range for a fun day of shooting a great reliable cartdrige. thanks! great site