Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Wisconsin joins Illinois and others! >

Wisconsin joins Illinois and others!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wisconsin joins Illinois and others!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Wisconsin joins Illinois and others!

Wisconsin has passed a law regualting that all stands on Public, County, and or State land must be tagged with an ID card that is readable from the ground. I know it has to have yourname on it, not sure about address and phone number, id have to look that back up.Current law still prohibits leaving any stand onany publicland over nite. All stands must be removed at the end of the hunting day.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Wisconsin joins Illinois and others!

They must be having some problems with stand hunters if they passed a law like that without the sportsman's community never hearing about it . Perhaps it's a safety measure to keep the game wardens from falling ? Here you have to have a tag or lettering on the stand that clearly identifies it's owner if you leave it up a tree on public land overnight , but it doesn't have to be visible from the ground . Of course , anymore if you leave a stand up a tree it won't be there the next day unless you rappel up and down to it or use gaffs .
Old 07-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

Thats doesn't make any sense. If you are not suppose to leave them in why would they have you put a tag on them. If i were going to leave my stand in the woods on public property i am sure not going to put my name on it so i can get caught. I don't hunt public land here in WI but that doesn't sound right.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:12 PM

I don't understand what this is going to accomplish? Are they doing this so that they can send the person a ticket if they leave it overnight? I would think that if you aren't going to follow the rule to not leave it overnight, you also aren't going to follow the rule about putting your name on it. Besides, when was the last time you ever saw a DNR agent walking the woods?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

In Pa your not alowed to leave stands over night on state landeither but people still do.Some leave them in for the whole season, basicly staking thier claim, so to speak. [:@]If I see one and nobody is hunting it, I'll hunt that areaanyway. First come, first serve on public land!

Old 07-25-2006, 06:19 PM

Yep... I was shocked that hunters went along eith such a stupid law. The law breakers are not going to follow the laws any way. This just meens I can't borrow my stand to my brother, freind, neighbor, etc. without changing the name tag... And what if a law breaker steals it, and the warden sees your name on it, you getting a fine in the mail. THEY ALREADY HAVE A LAW AGAINST LEAVING YOUR STAND IN THE WOODS, WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER LAW TO MAKE LAW BREAKERS FOLLOW THE LAW!
Old 07-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

They should get rid of the back-tags if they do anything. A bit pre-historic!
Old 07-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

its an owner identifier campaing for thoes who leave the stand for what ever amount of time to track a deer or to take quick lunch break. This was passed do to the shootings back in 04 from whaqt the press release stated prior to passing this regulation.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

WBH would you happen to know where you saw this press release. I am having a hard time figuring how they can tie the shootings of 04 together with this. The shootings took place on private land and putting a tag on you stand would have no bearing what so ever. It doesn't effect me at all but you have sparked my curiosity. It cost as much money to pass bad laws as it does good laws.