Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any hunters from Minnesota ?

Old 07-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Spike

Default Any hunters from Minnesota ?

I am just looking for any advise someone is willing to share on what they have tried and suceeded with in Minnesota. Know I know i could just ask the simple question to everyone, but thensome guy fromTexas would say something like "use a feeder" witch you and i know is not permitted during hunting season. So any imput you guyshave would be great. I hunt in Zone1 area 181 in Lester County. Last year i was lucky and scored a nice buck (13 pts 246lbs) But so far none of the sents or calls i have used have seemed to work.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:24 PM

Default RE: Any hunters from Minnesota ?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but you said Zone 1 area 181 in Minnesota right cause that's all St.Louis county. Never heard of Lester county.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Spike

Now that you metion it i think your right!!!! Sorry everyone its St.Louis County.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:40 PM

I've hunting in Ottertail county for the last ten years. I've found that patience and quiet. I always wash stuff in sent lock and it seems to work. As for rattling and other things. I've found that they are hit and miss. Best is to mask your smell. Got a nice 7X4 this year around 230#.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:54 PM

No Problem just wanted to make sure we were on the right page. I've hunted in 181 for about 12 years now and I've had success just about every year. I think the biggest thing I've learned is about scent and scent control. What I do now is wash my clothes in scent free soap from Gander Mountain usually scent shield in early September and then wash out the plastic container I put them. I put some leaves,dirt,pine bows and stuff in the plastic bin and leave them outside until opening morning of riffle season. Once I'm dressed I spray scent shield all over myself, also I use fresh earth scent wafers on my hat and jacket. I've gotten at least one deer since I started doing this 5 years ago. I also make sure any stands I'm going to use are outside come August and spray them with scent shield as well so they are scent free when I put them out. I do the same for bow hunting only in mid to late June. Not sure if you riffle hunt or bow hunt (I do both) but for riffle season my best luck opening day is to sit tight all day, there's been many times other hunters have done all the work for me. Once Monday hits I'll break out my scent's and scent wicks and start still hunting a little. Just my opinion but I really don't think in Northern Minnesota it's work rattling or using decoy's. I've had good succeess with scent's though.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Spike

Thanks for the imput. That is pretty much the same way i prepare for the season butI have to do it ina more condensed version since i get their only 2 days before rifle opener. I use a sent lock suit as one base layer and use the spray on stuff every layer after that. With so many deer and so much pressure on them, the sitting and waiting method so far is the only way i have scored(thank god i have patients). I will sit all day till i get my deer,witch sometimes takes a while. Not to sound like a Run-and-Gunner but Im only their for a week so the tips you give I will be using to try and bag one early...

Thanks