Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Chronic wasting disease

Old 11-02-2002, 04:06 PM

Default Chronic wasting disease

With everything I'm hearing about CWD I'm wondering how to tell if a deer you harvest has it? Also,does this affect the meat, is it still at all etable? And hell if anyone knows I would like to know what CWD actually is.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Chronic wasting disease

CWD is a disease that produces an abnormal protein in the brains of cervids (elk and deer.) CWD is a cousin to Mad Cow Disease but it hasn't been found in livestock or humans yet. It's a fairly newly discovered disease so cases could come up in the future. Biologists are not sure how it's spread, possibly through over-crowded herds, corn-feeding, or maternally...and the only testing for the disease is post-mortem. They are still trying to discover a way to conduct, live-animal tests.

It's not supposed to affect the muscle meat of the deer because the abnormal protein is only found in parts of the animals such as the spinal fluid, brain, and spleen and things of that nature, which hunters usually don't eat. But biologists recommend not eating meat of a possibly infected deer just to be on the safe side.

A deer that has CWD is usually fairly skinny. They still eat but don't eat enough food to stay healthy. They seem like they in a daze...they avoid other animals...pace and trance around...and usually keep there head hung low. Basically, if you got a deer drunk out of it's mind, it'd look like it had CWD.

"If a lie is repeated often enough, the gullible public will eventually believe it." -- Paul Joseph Goebbels (Chief Minister of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda for Adolph Hitler)