Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best place for a kill shot on a Deer? >

Best place for a kill shot on a Deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best place for a kill shot on a Deer?

Old 11-01-2002, 09:11 AM

Default RE: Best place for a kill shot on a Deer?

mello, thanks for the pic. I have a feeling that this topic will get hot pretty quick, so hopefully it will help someone with their shot placement.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

A head shot is a very risky shot as already mentioned, if you know your gun and shoot well a neck shot will work, but it better be right or you will have one heck of a tracking job ahead of you. The easiest shot is the best shot and that is broadside, double lung and high probability of the heart, the target area gives you a lot of room for error. I would never try a texas heart shot, the last thing I want to do is blow the guts up through the entire deer. If I had no choice with a monster buck facing me I would plant one right above the sternum, but to be honest if you have this shot, by being patient you will get a double lung shot.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-01-2002, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chris 10, no disrepect to your Dad but a head shot is kinda unethical. What if you shoot him in the mouth? Not cool to let him run off and suffer, eventually dying of starvation cause he can't eat or maybe blood loss when he'll be miles away and a nice coyote supper.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Don't go deer hunting until you're sure you can put one "IN THE BOILER ROOM". Practice by shooting a paper plate (it's the size of an actual deer's boiler room-no matter what the distance) at distances you are likely to actually set up for on your hunt. Don't shoot at a deer that you are not very, very, very confident you can hit in THE BOILER ROOM! Lastly, (BUT ABSOLUTELY MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) know what's behind the shot! Know what that slug is going to hit if you do miss. The only one who calls them ACCIDENTS are the ones who pull the trigger. Everyone else calls it what it is....NEGLIGENCE!

Now....."Go Get Ya One!"
Old 11-01-2002, 06:05 PM

Double lung shot, larger area with less movement.