Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bucks Everywhere

Old 10-30-2002, 10:55 PM

Default Bucks Everywhere

I hunt near Taylors Falls Minnesota and let me tell you people something. This year is strange. My primary hunting area is only 40 acres and there is 160 acres more that we can hunt but haven't needed too. Tere are four of us and we usually hunt at different times. Well just in the past week we have seen 3 different 8 pointers! 2 six pointers, 1 spike buck, and two unidentifiable bucks. Not too mention enough does to feed the United States Army.These are all on our little 40 acre plot. What the hell. Is this normal?? Our stand are over hunted, there are only 4 stands on these 40 acres. It's actually like we are hunting on less, because we don't hunt in front of the house and there is a huge yard and a long driveway. Our stands are so close that if the land was level we could see eachother no problem. Strange.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:31 AM
Banned

Default RE: Bucks Everywhere

I believe its the colder weather this year brother. Last year was so warm and they sat tight. I am seeing the same thing down here in southeaster Wi. Btw I got an 8 pointer. Going to be a great rifle hunt also in Wi. 2nd full moon of the fall is Nov 19th. Woo Hoo

Peak
Live and Learn
Old 10-31-2002, 06:11 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-31-2002, 09:37 AM

We have a similar setup, and they are all around when eating acorns, then traveling thru for getting to bedding/crops. They might move on a little once the mast is gone. My guess, dunno.

--Jim
Old 10-31-2002, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I usually see a butt load of bucks on my land. It has been cooler this year so I thought there would be even more. I have seen only 2 spikes this year and tons of doe. I hope with this last cold snap will have the big boys moving. I have seen some increadable rubs and scrapes, so I guess they are still around. Ill find out this weekend.

Lifes a garden, dig it.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Hope I have that problem. The cold weather will definetly help this year! I hope we get a little more snow too. I will be up in Roseau MN on Nov 8th. I getting pumped up! Thats all I can think about. The first weekend should be good. All the deer are not spooked yet. Sounds like you guys are on a good spot. There must be a good food source around your area. DNR site for MN posted that numbers are high in your area as thay are all over MN, but the numbers are usually fairly good in your area anyways. Good luck.

Starrman

Ron Starr
Old 11-01-2002, 01:45 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt on 100 acres with 200+ acres next to it that we can hunt. On he 100 acres we have about 3 spots that produce deer consistently. One of the spots is good during a good mast year. This year the acorns from the red and white oaks are all over the place. I've been hunting the spot and seen way more deer (and bucks) than I ever thougt that I would. I would assume you have a good foood source on your property, perhaps even an oak tree or an apple tree. Well, consider yourself lucky.