Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

boats and deer hunting?

Old 06-06-2006, 01:12 PM

Default boats and deer hunting?

I know of a couple of people back home who use jon boats to get back into places to deer hunt. The boats either make it easier for the hunter to get there, or they are the ONLY way to get back intothe area. I am looking at the early season muzzle loader season on public land in a river bottom. I know the area generally holds more than 1 big buck this time of year. The boat would provide easy access for me to get into my stand area.

How ever here in lies the question. What do I do with the boat, because I will be hunting not all that far from the boat. Will it spook deer if they see it??? Will it keep a bigger buck from coming by me? Did you use oars or trolling motor to keep quiet to get to your stand location? Maybe used a outboard??????I would be hunting a narrow funnel of woods between a river and corn field. The past few years the corn in those fields was not cut before or during the early smokepole season. Would that affect the narrow strip of woods funnel any??

Mark
Old 06-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: boats and deer hunting?

I have used a canoe to get into some thick stuff before. I just flipped it over when I got it dragged up on shore. It is painted camo so I wasn't too worried about it being spotted. However I hunted about 1/2mi inland from where I beached it. BTW, it was a successful hunt. I shot a 6pt. with my ML.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't think it would inhibit your hunting at all,,, unless it is painted up from the "Hippie Era" all psychodellic...[8D]
Old 06-06-2006, 05:53 PM

I've used canoes several times too. It's a blast and you can get to places you couldn't otherwise hunt. Give it a try!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Banned

I do the same at times..great way to access otherwise inaccessible land. Just tie your boat wherever..deer will not spook if they see it.. I would be more worried about 2 legged thieves. Kill the motor a little before you beach it if it makes you fell better. Within a half an hour or so animals forget about that boat motor they heard..they are used to boat motors.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:41 PM

My uncle uses one to set up for drives after we cut him off from crossing our property. (don't ask, family fued). Seems to work ok that way but it is kind of cold and dangerous in freezing november waters.

[/align]
[blockquote]

[/align][/blockquote]
Old 06-07-2006, 10:15 AM

I use a boat to get to my hunting land all season. It has never spooked the deer as they are use to the sound of motors on the lake. When hunting public land this can make a big difference b/c not many people can gain access to that particular piece of property that is water locked. I would highly recomend trying it. I know a guy that uses a blow up raft from wal-mart w/ a canoe paddle. Sounds silly but it works. A river would be different though b/c it would be much shallower than a lake w/ many more potential snags
Old 06-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

The deer will not spook, especially if there is a lot of fishing in the area. The motor will be a normal sound to them.

I have a friend that does this and he takes a lot of deer this way.