Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ruts on! Call or rattle?

Old 10-30-2002, 08:55 PM

Default Ruts on! Call or rattle?

The ruts on here in SC. Haven't seen any bucks yet but have seen the does and they weren't acting very spooked to me. This got me thinking. Would a grunt call work or should I rattle. Never owned either and never tried either. I've read where a "True Talker" is good but thats all I know. Should I get a grunt or bleet? How do I use it and when. What about rattling? How should it be done and when? What kind? I don't have any old horns to use but I've seen the "Horns in a bag" before thats several sticks in a bag and you rub them together. Sounds good to me but then again what do I know. I'm looking for something thats gonna increase my odds a little. Its just something I haven't tried but figure it might help. Some here I see swear by them. Let me know.

Weasel6
Old 10-30-2002, 10:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ruts on! Call or rattle?

Buy the true talker it makes all the sounds in one call. grunt tube is invaluable to me, I use it stop deer, bring deer and when rattling to add realistics to my sequence. I would say during rut 90% of my calling is Grunts, the other 10 Bleats. I would also say 75% is sight calling (visuals on deer) and the other is blind calling (mostly when rattling or when I step on a branch and here that crack, crack of hoofs). They are all pretty easy to use, most you just blow or inhale to tone vary. The true talker has bands you place your finger on to make different sounds when blowing.

Rattling, is practice, patience and persistance. Once you get a honest feel for it and more importantly your bucks in the area...it is the advatange that will throw you over the top. However caution it doesn't come over night, like an instrument you must learn the tune and play it. this is not to say it is hard or don't do it, it means you must be attentive and keep honing your skill. Education is the key and experience will=education and success.

Now I love rattling prerut, RUT and even post rut. My best success on big deer is full rut or post. I don't use the bag, but they do work. I always suggest real, but since no options than buy the bag. I find the one with plastic dowels or flat pieces to be better...in my situation. I think Night and Hale make them and sell them at walmart for like 5 bucks. I rattle form 10-4 during the rut, I tinkle and grind rather than smash. Start off soft, 20-30 seconds than wait 30 min, increase tone and duration 30-60sec wait 30 min and repeat. Generally I will only rattle the same spot in one day 4 times or 3-4 hours. I thuump on the ground when finishing, rake trees and grunt. Watch downwind side, as bucks often dcome in wind to their nose. Range and find your shooting lanes prior to starting to rattle. Bucks are like ghost, one minute their and the next minute gone...be prepared to shoot at any minute. Be attentive, listen for the slightest crack or noise. If in thick wood lots or really any good cover, look for lines and shades that indicate a deer approaching. If you rattle food sources, watch the edges and the shadows they will tend to hang back a bit in most cases. I have had bucks come racing in hair standing on end looking for action, yet others sneak in without a peep. Like I said you must be ready for everything. If you hunt with a pal, have him rattkle 200 yards in front of you, you get to the cross wind side and watch his back door.

I think rattling is a hoot and one of my fav. techniques now. ( b/c it took me some time to get the little things down and the only way is T&E)

Good luck.

Old 11-01-2002, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Both rattlihng and calling will work during the rut. I'll post new "T.R.'s Tips; Rattling" for you, and a "T.R.'s Tips; Deer Calling."

Look for them on the Bowhunting board.

T.R.

T.R. Michels
Old 11-01-2002, 07:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-02-2002, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I will share one experience from last year in regards to calling, during bow I had a nice 8 point walk parrelel to me at about 40 yards to far to shoot and then turn away from me, I hit the grunt once, he stopped and looked and continued on, I hit the grunt louder he stopped and looked again, but continued on. Man I was flustered, so I gave him a doe bleat!!! Man that got his attention, he turned right around and headed back to me, I kept him coming my way for a bit, and bleated a few more times. If I had just used the bleat once he probably would have come all the way back to me, but I called to often after he turned and once he knew he should be able to see a doe he decided something was wrong so he took off.

I learned 2 things from this, number one was that given a choice between a possible fight with another buck grunting at him and hooking up with a honey of a doe bleating that a buck is no different than a teenage boy, they would rather be a lover than a fighter. The second thing I learned is once you have a deer coming your way, quit calling unless he turns off in the wrong direction.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-02-2002, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

I would try The Can, its a Estrous Bleat. I used that Wednesday to call in 3 bucks, and I shot one of them.

Old 11-02-2002, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Oh yeah, my dad called in a small buck with it too. My sisters boyfriend called in and killed a 8 pointer with it. And my friend called in a small 8 pointer in also, but he passed on it. So believe me it works!!

Old 11-02-2002, 07:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]