Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

bicycles

Old 01-12-2002, 01:29 PM

Default bicycles

I am wondering if anybody uses bikes to get way back in? A couple of years ago I bought a safari sling for my rifle and planned on using my bike on logging roads and roads that are starting to be overgrown. I want to get away from the crowds. Mostly I am planning for next fall. What has been your experience? A couple of people I have talked to have been pretty positive about their experiences with bikes. I have ideas on how I want to go about doing this, but my biggest forseeable problem would be how to bring back the deer, provided of course I was successful.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:34 PM

Default RE: bicycles

Before I was old enough to drive I used to hunt on a bicycle. I did however run into the problem of how to get a deer back and ended up leaving my bike in the woods and dragging the deer back on foot. Since then I drive to where everyone else does and start out earlier and walk out further. I find that the other hunters often chase deer to me.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:48 PM

I use a 4 wheeler......much easier
Old 01-12-2002, 03:55 PM

I have used a bike in flat terrain but I don't care for it in the hills. I don't know of any way to haul a deer out with it.
Old 01-12-2002, 05:05 PM

I remember a guy over at huntamerica.com built a trailer type thing that attatched to his bike so he could pull deer out. I believe his name was Nick or Nickathome. You can probably go there and he might give you some plans. Or just search the archives.
Old 01-12-2002, 05:06 PM

Pugetsound, do you live right in Seattle? I have two brothers that live in Bellevue.
Old 01-12-2002, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

my friend ties the deer to a sled he puts there in the beginning of the year and then ties the sled to the bike seat post. it works ok. as long as you dont have many hills. just my 2 cents
Old 01-12-2002, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

If this works a picture paints a thousand words. If not I'll try again

had to shrink it it was way too big

Edited by - billyb on 01/12/2002 20:21:50
Old 01-12-2002, 07:05 PM

Well, I live in an agricultural region and access to a downed deer by truck isnt that hard to come by in many places around here besides around the lake where its steep at...other than that we can have a truck within 400 yards every time of the downed deer.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:20 PM

I ride my mountain bike but i never told anybody about it.It is kinda strange.lol Riding a bike is of a great advantage.In my hilly area my stands are locate down hill.In the am i just coast down the hill.The way out i walk it out.I used to use my 4 wheeler but found it spooked game.With my bike ive ridden right past them and got some pretty dumbfounded looks.Or they ran a short distance and stopped.Ive seen more game as a result.

Quick Reply: bicycles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.