Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

bicycles

Old 01-13-2002, 02:58 AM

Default RE: bicycles

Billyb that is a great picture. That is sort of like what I imagined the Patrick McManus story to be like. The issue with driving in either on a 4wheeler or truck, is many of the logging roads where I have been hunting are closed to vehicle traffic during hunting seasons--mainly due to slobs--so it is either walk or bike in. I don't have a problem with walking in, but would rather be able to go farther faster on the way in and out than what I could do walking. My other concern would be a problem of theft, but if I am far enough in then of course nobody would steal it, lol.

8Ball, I do live in Seattle, Queen Anne to be exact. What are your brothers doing up here?

Nate
Old 01-13-2002, 09:32 AM

There is a place here, wildlife area that has management hunts. If I ever go in there I will bike in, make a trailer of some sort to haul them out (Can't imagine a 1/2 mile drag!!).

I like the pic of the deer on the bike, thats using your head!

--Jim
Old 01-13-2002, 12:35 PM

PugetSound, my oldest brother moved up there about a year and a half ago. He works for Washington Mutual. My other brother moved there about 6 months ago. He is employed by Verizon Wireless. The two of them are trying to talk me into going to college up there. If I went to college up there what kind of hunting would I be able to do? How far do you travel and what game is there? Thanks
Old 01-13-2002, 04:06 PM

yes do it. here in north idaho there are thousands of closed roads. we ride our mtn bikes in 10 miles to get to our elk huntin spot. once there you can usually hunt alone since most people arnt willing to walk that far as far as gettin out your game once youve killed i rope 2 quarters on my bike just like you would with a horse then walk your bike it works way better then a packboard but havent tried a deer yet .good luck
Old 01-13-2002, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I bought one for that very reason a couple years ago but have never used it for that. As a matter of fact it just hangs on the garage wall next to my wifes.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:02 AM

nidahoscott, I would like to hear more about your experiences. What kinds of troubles have you run into, what you did to solve them, where have you really found it benifical, things like that.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thinking about the bike idea and getting the deer out, I was thinking if you took some rope and dropped the front legs and head over the handle bars and the hind legs straddled over the frame in front of the seat you could tie him that way and push him out, but make sure you put something over his head to keep someone from reshooting him and possibly you.

The Tazman
Old 01-14-2002, 07:45 AM

That is the photo that Billyb posted. Unfortunately I can't see it so assume that you can't either, which is to bad because it is a great photo. I have a feeling that there won't be any easy way of moving the animal. I think it would have to be something along the lines of what Billyb did and Tazman suggested or quartering out the animal. I just don't want to have to pull a trailer along with my fat behinny. Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts.

Nate
Old 01-14-2002, 08:09 AM

my buddy has the funniest picture on this subject. He strapped the deer to his back, got on the bike and pedaled out. In the picture, the deer appears to be holding on and watching the road over his shoulder. It is hilarious. This would only work with a small deer. I don't think anybody is going to strap 180 pounds on their back and be able to balance a bike.

Hunting is a right, treat it like a priviledge - respect nature