Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How many deer can you REMEMBER shooting? >

How many deer can you REMEMBER shooting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many deer can you REMEMBER shooting?

Old 10-30-2002, 06:42 PM

Default How many deer can you REMEMBER shooting?

I've harvested 6 deer and can remember each one very clearly,as if they happened in the same season. I'm wondering as time goes on if I'll remember each kill as vividly or whether the older shots fade with time. For you seasoned hunters,who have shot dozens of deer, can you recall each one,and if so, to what degree?

Old 10-30-2002, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many deer can you REMEMBER shooting?

I believe I could recall most of the deer I have taken ,but how would I know if I couldn't recall. Be rather hard to check on yourself.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:04 PM

As the years pass, I find it difficult to remember all of them. I've gotten one at least for the last 20 years, and some seasons up to four. Last year due to shoulder surgery, I tried but couldn't score. But the one most everyone remembers is the first one. In my case, it was my best. 11 points, 200 lbs. field dressed, in 1957. I'm still trying to top it.

Old 10-30-2002, 08:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe 50% of them.

Old 10-30-2002, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

well, i'm not really a "seasoned" hunter. i'm 21 and have been hunting for 8 years, bow and firearm. i've hunted in new york, new jersey, penn., and virginia, so i usually take a coule deer a year. i remember most of them, and sometimes you just remember one that you thought you forgot. i also ALWAYS remember the good ones and the first one.

Old 10-30-2002, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted on one tract of land for over 20 years. I keep a map of the property with all kills, by everyone, each year. A visual marker on the map indicates the hunter, and deer (8pt, 6pt, doe, fawn etc) taken.

I've taken over 40 deer, and to recount each and every one is difficult off hand, but when I look at the map, I can recall the details of not only every one of my deer, but much of the several hundred taken over the 20 years since I've been keeping track.

If you hunt one piece of property every year, this kind of data collection can be very usefull as well.

Old 10-30-2002, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

I live in an area where the deer aren't all that plentiful, and a successful deer (or any big game) hunt is a special experience. I can remember the details of every deer, moose and bear I've shot over the past 42 years, and that number is now approaching 50.

Old 10-30-2002, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heck not only do I remember all my harvests, but all my buddies harvests. I am like Cliff Clavin though, remember all details and usually full of useless facts to boot.

Old 10-31-2002, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

I have been hunting for a little over 20 years and I think I can remember all of them. There are definetly some bruisers that stick out, but even the odd spikes and does still make me recall the situation or a buddy that was with me. I have for the last 10 years kept a journal of every day in the woods scouting and hunting. It is really fun to read what happened 7 years ago on opening day on the same land your on today. I highly recommend this. I intend on passing this on to my son when I can't hunt anymore. It might show him exactley who his old man was and what I stood for.

Hunt Safely
Old 10-31-2002, 09:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I tend to remember the big bucks or the deer taken with good shots. As for most of the does I couldnt tell you when or where.

Lifes a garden, dig it.

Quick Reply: How many deer can you REMEMBER shooting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.