HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How many deer can you REMEMBER shooting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/14411-how-many-deer-can-you-remember-shooting.html)

huntinfool14 11-02-2002 02:31 PM

RE: How many deer can you REMEMBER shooting?

I've shot 6 deer and can remember shooting every single one of them!

Tazman 11-02-2002 03:13 PM

OOOH boy, well I am almost 49, I killed my first when I was 11 or 12, it was a doe, that I will never forget, I can still see that doe, I even remember that the biggest doe I have ever seen in my life went by me just before the one I shot came out, she was missing half her front leg and still running as fast as any deer I have ever seen. I remember the biggest buck I ever killed in 74 like it was yesterday also. I remember some others I have either missed or could not get a shot on in some cases better than a lot of other kills over the years. I find it funny in a way, but sometimes I will either hunt a place I haven't hunted in years that will remind me of kills I had there before, or I will be in a particular spot that brings back memories of prior kills, but I will be honest and say I could not sit down and recall every kill or even the numbers, some of them will never be forgotten and others are just fleeting memories.

There is my first bow kill which I will never forget, of course it just happened yesterday!!! LOL

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club

Misplaced Buckeye 11-02-2002 03:28 PM

For the last 30+ years I have kept a log of weight, sex and location. We had a fire on Nov. 7, 2000 and my logs were burned up. I can still recall most of them(maybe) but it's getting harder each year. I hunted for 12 years before I started keeping the logs. I remember my first, most unusual, hardest to find and biggest. With the exception of the first I can't tell you what year but I think that I would be close. Russ, I also had Shoulder surgery last year and did not get to hunt much and didn't take a deer, one of the few years that were barren for me. Still bugs me. Well that's about it. Keep a log and each time you look at it, your hunt will return.

Misplaced Buckeye

txhunter58 11-02-2002 03:39 PM

I killed my first deer over 30 years ago and I definately can't remember them all. I probably remember all the bucks, but we are blessed with an overabundance of deer and I usually take 2-4 does per year (yes, legally) for meat. Don't remember all of those.

The one's that stick out in my memory are the bigger bucks and the does that I wounded and did not immediately recover. Any deer that did not meet a quick and humane demise weighs heavily on me. I am more cautious before I pull the trigger as the years go by.

coyotefeeder 11-08-2002 12:51 PM

When I was fourteen I remember drawing down on a spike buck. Then a mystical thing happened, I woke up and realized I had shot a deer. Two other times come to mind experiencing a mystical blackout right before the shot. I try to keep myself detached from the situation to avoid buck fever, empty my mind from all the chatter that happens at once,(what will it cost to mount it? how close can I get the truck? is there room in the freezer? is that twig in the way? am I still breathing? did the wind just change direction?etc.). I think I know why you asked the question and want to thank you for making me remember some beautiful times.

IL_BOW_MAN 11-08-2002 01:36 PM

Since I only have 11 to my record, I can remember each and every one of them.

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

nhten 11-09-2002 10:07 AM

I can remember every deer I've shot because I have pics of every one of them.My son and I look through the photo album at least once a month and I tell him when and where that deer came from.I've been deer hunting since I was 15(I'm 39 now) and have harvested 44 deer and every one of them are special and, I think,deserve to be remembered.Im sure having all the pics helps me keep them straight,not to mention that I lable the pics as to time and place,and I enjoy looking at them and remembering the trips and the guys at camp.