Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
a bad shot or just a tough one? >

a bad shot or just a tough one?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

a bad shot or just a tough one?

Old 10-29-2002, 09:00 PM

Default a bad shot or just a tough one?

i have been asked to tell of my story of missing a deer. there was a heated dicussion in the chat room on tuesday which i felt was uneccessary although i could see some of your points. Comments like foaming at the mouth was unappreciated. the story:

Sunday eveing i had a buck come threw some pines rows 70 yds. from my stand working parallel from me. The deer crossed a row and i identified the deer as a legal buck. I only had one hole to shoot through before the deer would be out of sight. I calmly put my crosshairs on the hole and as the deer's front shoulder came into view I squeezed the triger. Yes, I couldn't see the hole deer through the hole at one time but when the front shoulder came through i had enough room to shoot. The shot felt good and i guess the only thing i could have done was to have shot high. I understand i did say the shot was "impossible" but what i meant to say was that it wasn't. So i want to make this CLEAR.

At no time did i rush my shot or take a bad aim at deer. I was aimin g directly behind the shoulder. Anyways you can judge for yourself.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: a bad shot or just a tough one?

I don't understand what the problem is or was. You identified the deer as a shooter, picked a clear and unobstructed lane, followed the target, you aimed behind the shoulder which indicates vitals and had full view of the target/animal. The only problem was you missed!

I am I missing something here?

Old 10-29-2002, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tough that you missed but it didn't sound that bad to me .Only you know what went down and if you feel you did the right thing that is what counts .
Old 10-30-2002, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me like you missed something besides the deer.
Take your gun to the firing range and check to see if it is still sighted in.

FOOLPROOF?
Never underestimate the power of a fool!

What if the "Hokey Pokey" really is what it's all about?
Old 10-30-2002, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds ok to me. You see the deer coming and when it hits an opening you pull the trigger with the crosshairs on the vitals. MIsses happen. THere is a lot of air around them deer.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:40 AM

I think that all hunters would of liked a better shot but it sounds like you took the best shot available to you. It sounds like you had a small window of oppurtunity in a small shooting lane.

I amy not have taken the shot depending on the buck and available time to continue hunting. You should never have to question your shot, only you know what you are comfortable with. Confidence In your ability to make that shot has to be the primarly issue. If you were confident in your abilty and your equipment I believe you try to harvect that deer.

If not you should wait for a better opportunity.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your story appears to be a situation that I would not question. You even stated that you "calmly" put your crosshairs on the hole...As far as I can tell, I probably would have taken that same shot. My one question to you TF, is why the doubt? It seems to me that you may want to have justification from some of us that your shot was OK. If what you say is the absolute truth, then live by your decision. I am saying this in a very positive manner. You are the only one that knows exactly what happened. You should never have to ask others to "judge for themselves"!...Good luck!.....Jimmy S