HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - your deer minerals
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 08:47 AM
sandilands
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: your deer minerals

They have 2 different kinds of mineral/salt licks here. I've been looking at putting one out b4 the season and then taking it out b4 I can hunt(legalities). But which one is better, the copper (i think its called cobalt) coloured one or the the blue blocks? I've also heard guys say that just rock salt mixed in the soil will help but then I think it would too difficult to remove.
Last year I put out corn, apples and when the acorns were in season I put buckets of them out........ I don't call it bait. I call it supplemental feeding or fattening up the meat. Its illegal to hunt w/in a certain distance of any type of bait or standing crop so I can't(don't) put it out during the season. I did find the deer in the area generally checked the site every few days to see if there anymore goodies left for them. The stand LOC that I used the acorns on had the most action, acorns wouldn't last more than a day or 2 and this was the only stand w/any oak trees so all the acorns were placed there. The trails doubled in number around that ridge.