Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SHOPPING. It Is That Simple.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default SHOPPING. It Is That Simple.

Guys,

Hope all of you had a super weekend. I was busy and wanted to check in while I had a minute. Had a chance to get in the Southern outdoors (respect) over the weekend and made a few accute observations. I wanted to share them with you.

First, on Friday evening I was driving in my pick-up (2 door, roll bar, KC lights, Ford....demands it), and glanced over to an area off the side of the 2 lane road and, obviously, saw 4 deer. NEVER SAW DEER HERE BEFORE GUYS. I pulled over, turned off the key, and poured a cup of coffee from my insulated thermos so I just just kick back and observe the deer.

Two things:

-It was about 5pm and I was drinking coffee with the windows rolled up, probably about 90 degrees or more. No short pants. Guys, this is what I am talking about. The ability to demand respect without hesitation. It is the way I live my life.

-Observing wildlife is the best way to get to know them and their habits. I had never seen deer in this spot before. This is further proof that the South is becoming a real innovator, particularly with the state of FL leading the charge. When you start seeing deer in places where you never saw them before, this is SOLID PROOF that the population is increasing, the health of the overall heard is up, and still NO EVIDENCE of warty growths or CWD.

I was walking around the family farm Satiddy and went dow to a bottom just to take some time and enjoy the stillness of the north Florida woods. Was sitting there on the ground and noticed a few rubs from the fall. Looked in a different direction and saw a bedding type area. Glanced over my shoulder and found the place where I saw a nice 4 year old 8 pointed just last fall and let him walk. Finally, it hit me.

Here is the deal with Florida and hunting deer down here as best as I can explain it:

DUE TO FLORIDA LEADING THE CHARGE IN WHITETAIL MANAGEMENT AND OVERALL HERD HEALTH, WHEN YOU HUNT IN FLORIDA YOU ARE BASICALLY "SHOPPING." THAT'S RIGHT, "SHOPPING."

That is the best way I can explain it, guys, and it hit me in the woods Satiddy on the family farm when I looked in every direction and found evidence of the elusive whitetail. Just saw deer the evening before in a place where they never were before. When you deer hunt in Florida, you are basically shopping for the right one. It has become that selective. You sit and take your choice of adult deer that score off the charts and it is simply a matter of what type of shopper you are. Findingbargains, guys.

The Norhtern deer woods is in a HUGE decline and this is further proof. Tumors, warty growths, CWD spreading like HIV among Haitians, hunters at odds with each other and causing concern. All of these scenarios are benefitting the South and it is getting embarrassing. Down here we shop for trophy bucks.

Hope every single one of you gets the chance to get outside with close family/friends this week, if even to do some calesthenics.

Old 05-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SHOPPING. It Is That Simple.

You got to get out more..... out of state! We are probabley very similar in alot of ways. I like to observe wildlife whenever I have a chance. You are Florida and I'm in Manitoba. The deer are the same!...... 4 legs, a head, 2 ears and so on.
The only thing that demands respect is an animal that live 365 days a year in the wild.In the south and the north.....each place has its problems when it comes to survival for wild animals. Here in MB, -40 degree temps for weeks straight...... any deer that is not healthy is more than likely going to perish. CWD, we don't have.... that deer would be bear bait or the timberwolves would get them b4 the winter was out.The woods I hunt is not declining...... there are hundreds of square km most of which is inaccessable b/c its too dense, I might even be the only guy out during the archery season.
I am glad I drove to AZ last month instead of flying. Drove though many different states for abot 5400miles return. I saw different kinds ofland that whitetails live in, ND,SD, OH, IO, KS, TX, CO, NB, NM and AZ( I may be missing a few)everything from flat farmland,cactus country, rolling hills, and the river bottoms. All I have to say isWOW! I drove for hundreds of miles along the Platte river, home of old mossy horns. Each of these places was a little different and soare the deer that inhabited these areas.
I have taken does here that weigh over 200 lbs live and a buck that was over 250lbs ( a 3 1/2 yr old) and have seen 5 yr old bucks that you had to quarter b4 getting out of the woods b/c they are too big. The deer here are impressive to say the least. Every deer is impressive,no matter where they live. http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g234/RedCat_2006/70a3c690.jpg just came out the swamp
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g234/RedCat_2006/fishing050.jpglooking for a drink
These are pics taken a week ago when I was fishing. Not trying to knock FL, but come on TOPDAWG don't knock my deer either. They work just as hard to live as the deer in your area. RESPECT is something you earn --not--demand.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question for TDWW... Just how many times and where up north have YOU hunted? Was just curious. BTW, what is this respect thing all about? You do realize (don't you) that nobody can demand respect, you must earn it.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

BTW, what is this respect thing all about? You do realize (don't you) that nobody can demand respect, you must earn it
Ya gotta cut the kid some slack, he's still learning!
Old 05-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

TDWW was ungrounded!!! YAY!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Banned

You have convinced me to quit deerhunting here in IA and save my money for a real deer hunt in FL. I'll bet that the 13 year old that suppossedly killed that world record buck in IA a couple of years ago actually shopped for it in FL, killed it there and brought it back here and claimed he killed it in IA so that nobody would know he killed it in FL. I got to go and put some money in my FL deer hunting savings acct. Later.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey I seen 38 deer on saturday and drove around to the side of the 51 acres and seen 27 more,And you seen how many ????
Old 05-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Shopping for deer....Oh dear, TDWW must be doing it behind a fence. I hunt my deer not shop for them.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: buckhunter14

TDWW was ungrounded!!! YAY!!!
Not deep enough.......
Old 05-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

And yet another awe inspiring post from TDWW. You demanded it and we each will give it to you.

Quick Reply: SHOPPING. It Is That Simple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.