Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 2005 Deer Mount of 9 pt. is back! (w/ story) >

2005 Deer Mount of 9 pt. is back! (w/ story)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2005 Deer Mount of 9 pt. is back! (w/ story)

Old 05-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default 2005 Deer Mount of 9 pt. is back! (w/ story)

Story of the Buck (copied from my post after I shot this swamp buck)

OK Here is the story:
I had an eventful opening day. I saw 6 deer before 10:30AM - one small buck that I passed. That evening around 3:00 I catch movement about 170 yards to my left. I sit on a steep hill, with a creek running parallel on my right side, a small field/opening in front of me, a cedar swamp behind me, and a spruce swamp ahead of me. This buck was cutting from spruce swamp to the cedar swamp on my left, I got one glimpse of antler, and decided to take him at the last second. Unfortunately, since I was shooting over my back left shoulder, the scope got me right by my left eye( AS YOU CAN SEE THE MARK ABOVE MY EYE IN THE PIC!)...oh well. Turned out to be a 4ptr...I was happy with the deer, good size deer, and nice little rack. Our group always takes the first legal buck we see to get off of the snide...plus we hunt public land, so we cant practice QDM.

The following morning, my father, grandpa, and brother were in our stands by6AM, but I didnt expect to see much. We fielddressed the 4ptr. after dark, and we made quite a bit of commotion when we crossed the creek with the 4ptr.

But, it was an ultra-quiet morning, snow on the ground, a little fog, just like a picture. I thought to myself, it would be awesome to catch a big buck down by the creek this morning...I looked to my left, lone behold a huge body deer had his noise down in the middle of the field only 60 yards away. Hejustappeared there without a noise...amazing! I thought I saw antler, so I slowly click my gun of safety and begin to raise my gun...he lifts his head right at me...WOW, first thing I notice is his high rack...just awesome!!I thought 'busted', buthe put his head right back down near the drag trail...and despite my heart throbbing, I made the shot with the 7MM. He went about 60 yards and expired. I tracked him where he came from, and he cut from the cedar swap behind me, and was going into the spruce swamp in front of me. Just a fabulous buck, I love the colors of the antlers. After the harver, Ithanked the lord for the opportunity at such a prestine deer like always. It was also great tohave my grandpa, father, and brother in the woods with me to enjoy the buck and the entire experience! Couldn't have had a better day, or with better people

I guess once in awhile the fruits of scouting, hunting, and luck all come together!!

Before:

Old 05-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2005 Deer Mount is Back!!

After:

Old 05-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

Some info on the mount:
Plummer Taxidermy in Crandon, Wisconsin did the mount, and Gene did an excellent job! I could not be happier, very recommended!

Mount is alert sneak position -- I shot the deer in the neck, so due to the stitches, etc. we had to go with a smaller neck, but you cannot notice where the hole was. This buck was a figther with cut ears, rake marks on the neck and face, along with the hole in the neck, so I was pleasantly suprised with the outcome.

Another:

Old 05-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck, and great mount!
Old 05-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beautiful buck and mount, congrats.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:09 AM

Default RE: 2005 Deer Mount of 9 pt. is back! (w/ story)

Good story and a very nice deer.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice racker
Old 05-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Spike

Very nice mount!