Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

when to put up my stand

Old 05-07-2006, 01:51 PM

Default when to put up my stand

I bought one of those cabelas SS tree loungers (very comfy) to put up near a corn field where I hunt. I want to put it up but I don't know when I should. NOv is bow season, I know I will hunt the corn field some during bow season but not much. If I put it up now will the straps become warn out by Nov or will the tree grow so much taht they will break or become weathered? I know I won't put the cushion on until mabye a few days before opening day but what about the stand and the straps??

I use the lone wolf sticks to get to it so I amnot worried about someone stealing it. I just take them with me each time I go out.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: when to put up my stand

I have stands that hang year round. I hang new ones and take care of the existing ones about 6 weeks before season. Cut all my shooting lanes and clear paths to my stands etc. Even a couple of weeks ahead of season would be alrightI just like to do it sooner.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:11 PM

Depends on how safe the area is. I would hate to see it get stolen. The straps should be fine as long as some critter does not chew thru them. A tree does not grow that fast, especially not one large enough to put a stand in.

Our season starts October 1st and I like to have my stands in during august if I can get to it. Some places I don't know if I would leave on over night though[&o].

Paul
Old 05-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in Mi. we can't put up our stand's on public land until after Sept.1st.
When that time come's I'll take my stick's & stand's along with the rest of my gear out pick out a tree or two.
Put my sticks up & then my stand, make sure everything just right & then use my cable locks on the stand & the sticks.
If anybody want's to steal them, they'll have to work for it but where I hunt everybody respect's each other stuff.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Banned

Sunlight will degrade straps and I don't put my stands out till the 1st week in sept for the oct 1st opener. Deer forget you have been there trimming shooting lanes and hanging your stand as soon as it rains and washes your scent away or after a couple of days. Squirrels chew on straps too. As soon as season is over the second week in jan I pull my stands. They will last you a lifetime if you take care of them.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Banned

Another thing I do with all my stands even though they are on private ground is snake a 1/4'' or bigger cable through all parts of the stand and padlock it to the tree. Ladder stands I snake it through all sections of the ladders too. I also write on all my stands: SMILE FOR MY TRAIL CAMERA and my NAME in big permanent marker on every part of the stand so people can see it.I haven't had a stand stolen ever....knock on wood.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hang mine in April and May. I like getting it done and out of the way long before bow season. That way I don't have to worry about scent and bumping deer.