Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Encounters with Snakes

Old 05-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Encounters with Snakes

Guys,

Most folks are scared poohless of snakes. Not sure about you individually, but to me a poisonous snake in the woods is just another creature doing what he needs to do to survive. If I get too close and threaten him, then sure he is going to strike at me. If I go about my business, then he is going to go about his. It is that simple.

Down here in the deep South, we encounter those salty tooth moccasins constantly. Matter of fact, during the summer, I will often visit the old creek down in the holler just to see how many salty tooth I can find. It is nothing to find as many as 5 or 6 within 20 minutes down there.

I have a rattle snake I caught and froze alive because I always wanted a nice mounted diamondback. So that's respect.

Just wondered what kind of encounters folks have had with poisonous snakes and if anyone has ever been bitten. I have them strike at me constantly, but have only been bitten 5 or 6 times. Of those snake bites, only 2 required hospital visits and only one of those was for an extended period. Salty tooth too.

Down here in the bottomland of north FL, that is just a part of life outdoors.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Encounters with Snakes

ORIGINAL: TOPDAWGWOOFWOOF

Guys,

Most folks are scared poohless of snakes. Not sure about you individually, but to me a poisonous snake in the woods is just another creature doing what he needs to do to survive. If I get too close and threaten him, then sure he is going to strike at me. If I go about my business, then he is going to go about his. It is that simple.

Down here in the deep South, we encounter those salty tooth moccasins constantly. Matter of fact, during the summer, I will often visit the old creek down in the holler just to see how many salty tooth I can find. It is nothing to find as many as 5 or 6 within 20 minutes down there.

I have a rattle snake I caught and froze alive because I always wanted a nice mounted diamondback. So that's respect.

Just wondered what kind of encounters folks have had with poisonous snakes and if anyone has ever been bitten. I have them strike at me constantly, but have only been bitten 5 or 6 times. Of those snake bites, only 2 required hospital visits and only one of those was for an extended period. Salty tooth too.

TDWW
This whole post is PURE BS, and you and everyone here knows it.

And by the way, where are the ladder stand pictures??? PUT UP OR SHUT UP!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'll bet he has 15 or 20 pictures of himself in his billfold, and that's all.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Typical Buck

hey top dawg , heal hound or whatever the way you write these posts it is showing that you must have the bs meter pegged out
Old 05-08-2006, 02:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Like snakes,if snakes are around you know you have a balanced eco system
Old 05-08-2006, 03:05 AM

I don't think about snakes much,But when I am out fishing with my kids I allways tell them to watch for snakes...I haven't see any poisonous ones yet,,But I always tell them to look for snakes....I have been careless before and stepped on a banded water snake before right on a trail by the lake..It dawned on me what was under my foot when I felt it move..Even though I never stepped on a snake before..I knew what this was...Quick step forward and turned around to confirm what I have just done..I thought for a second to kill it...But after my adralin slowed down and he slithered away.All was at peace...
Old 05-08-2006, 04:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey I didn't know you were from the north. You are a fellow yankee after all~
Old 05-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Guys,

Not sure about some of the angered posts. I was just asking about your encounters with snakes. Is there really a need to lash out at an old Southern boy who works hard for a living and eats all that he kills (respect).

Maybe you Yanks do not have snakes up there, I do not know b/c I have NEVER been up there (more respect) and likely never will. I guess hunting up there all you have to contend with is litter and smog? That's fine, guys. I was just saying that down here in the bottomland of North FL we have to deal with snakes on a daily basis. Some folks are scared phhless - I just accept that it is part of the whole experience.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

Came across a couple of king snakes makin' out last week while turkey hunting. Big ole' long one's all tied together. I watched for a minute then went on my way. I usually don't run into to many snakes. I've come across a cooperhead or two but for the most part I just leave them alone and they do me the same. (I guess you could say we respect each other)
Old 05-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Encounters with poisonous snakes are somewhat rare during our hunting seasons other than squirrel since it begins during Summer , by the time deer season rolls around it's usually too cool out for them . Other than Copperheads and Eastern Diamondbacks , both of which are few and far between here , we don't really have a lot anyway . May I reccomend a good pair of snake boots ?

Quick Reply: Encounters with Snakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.