Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What can I use to less the chance of a deer Scenti >

What can I use to less the chance of a deer Scenti

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What can I use to less the chance of a deer Scenti

Old 10-28-2002, 10:47 AM

Default What can I use to less the chance of a deer Scenti

I have tried a lot of things in the past to no avail. Is there a scent eliminator product someone can recommend that will work in eliminating odors left on my hunting cloths? I have had people tell me to put my cloths in a plastic bag with some leaves. Or even so far as to hang my cloths out 2 weeks before season opens. What works?

Trouserchili
Old 10-28-2002, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What can I use to less the chance of a deer Scenti

chris I leave mine hanging on my deck the entire season, but the one thing I will tell you is if you are not playing the wind you will get busted, you can cut down on your scent with the scent lock suits and all the spray on scent eliminators, but there is no way even with these that you can totally eliminate your scent, remember you inhale and exhale and when you exhale a certain amount of your scent is exhaled. Scent Lock suits a expensive and until they come up with one that is fully self contained(your breath is recycled)I will play the wind.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-28-2002, 01:19 PM

I pretty much agree with tazman. I usually leave my clothes hanging outside for a few weeks before season and then cut some of the leaves and twigs from the type of tree I will be setting in and put everything into a plastic bag. I also believe that fresh earth spray and raccoon urine work as good cover scents.
advice: you can safely spray fresh earth scent all over yourself and clothes, but I have found that spraying raccoon urine on anything but your boots can make you sick as hell. NASTY!
Old 11-08-2002, 01:29 PM

I have started using Deer Sense from Deer Quest. Smoke your clothes using Sent-A in a shed or big box and follow direction when your out there hunting and I think you will be surprised. I was.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:45 PM

Chris, As others have said, you will never be totally scent free. Some things that might help. Do not wear your hunting clothes around camp- especially the camp fire. Take several sets of clothes and change as often as you can. Change all the way down to your boxers.If you have cows on your lease, step in fresh cow patties on your way to your hunting area. I know that sounds bad but it helps. If you have cedars or pines around, cut or break small branches and rub them on your clothes. Make sure you are not allergic to them first. They have a pretty strong scent and are not alarming to deer. I do all of these things as well as what some of the others have said. Deer still scent me from time to time but ususally only when the animal is directly downwind and fairly close. Even then, they don't blow and snort, usually they just walk away. Hope this helps, Allen
Old 11-08-2002, 02:29 PM

Is it good to get smoke on your clothes? Like from burning leaves? I heard that works.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:46 PM

I also agree on the wind, keep it in you face!

30-30, as far as smoke thats a good one. In our camp must of the members really don'd give it a thouhg as to what they come in contant with, as far as broadcasting sents that will spook deer.

But, some of them make a point to stand infront of the camp fire, saying that this will eliminate thier and every other sent. It seems to work. Wondering if this would work I too stood infront of the fire with overalls on during the night.

The next morning I put it on like always and headed out. While walking to my stand a buck came into view and the wind was blowing towrds the deer, he knew somthing was there but never stomped made a grunt or lifted his tail. He ginda just walked fast into the woods?

I did take a deer that day.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-08-2002, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

READ EACH POST, THEY ALL HAVE GREAT ADVICE. ALSO WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO EAT? IM ITALIAN AND WE EAT ALOT OF GARLIC, I FOR ONE STOP EATING GARLIC AROUND MID AUGUST. YOU MAY NOT SMELL IT, BUT IF SWEAT WHATEVER YOU EAT MAY COME OUT OF YOUR POURS, ITS A KNOWN FACT.