Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Non-res landowners

Old 04-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Non-res landowners

I like emo's solution the best. It's better to try to get along with your new neighbors. you have to remeber that you are the one seen as the outsider--I know you would have landowner rights and all that but there may be people currently hunting your potential farm now and have been for generations and that's hard for them to swallow as well. You would have the law on your side but I think It would be better to acquaint yourself with some of your neighbors and get them to look after your place in return for hunting privileges--everybody wins--You may lose a few good bucks in the deal but would probably be worth it in the long run. If your REAL set on keeping people out perhaps you should relocate there.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I wouldn't want to plunk down 200,000 - 300,000 and then have people run all over you.
If I spent that kind of money just to hunt then hiring a full time security company to guard it wouldn't be that much of a stretch . There's no way in hell I'd ever spend that much just to hunt anyway though , you could go on guided safaris for the rest of your life for that kind of scratch .
Old 05-01-2006, 04:30 AM

It would end up being a little more then just hunting property. It would be an investment for the long term. I would hunt with my dad and hopefully my son when he's old enough( only 2 now). Land is a long term investment, and it only goes up in value.( around here anyway). Maybe someday I would retire there. Those things are important to me. If I went on safari's for the rest of my life all I would have is a room full of heads. Land is something you can hand down for generations for your family to enjoy.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:55 AM
Banned

With these trail cameras now you could also have a great weapon for the courts in regards to trespassing. Post the property with signs stating that trail cameras are everywhere. That should deter 95% of any want to be trespassers.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've found that posting it moderately (meaning no threatening signs, spreading the signs every couple hundred feet or so) works the best. Just something that says "No hunting or tresspassing", and if at all possible I would not let anyone know that the owner (you) is from out of state.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

BigWay, good thinking. I bought land in WV for the same reason. It isn't cheap when you factor in the down payment and land payments, price of building a cabin, taxesandthe gas expenses going to and from. But the rewards in the long-run will be worth it if you don't have many trespassers and are able to reach your goals of making the place better for hunting (building cabin/making food plots or wildlife clearings, etc.).
Old 05-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

With these trail cameras now you could also have a great weapon for the courts in regards to trespassing. Post the property with signs stating that trail cameras are everywhere. That should deter 95% of any want to be trespassers.
And attract 95% of hunting gear thieves .

BigWay , I understand what you mean . The value of land is only as good as it's resale value unless you're planning to keep it in perpetuity as you are .
Old 05-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Banned

I think the average person would be scared that they wouldn't see them all and get photographed by one. You could camo them so well that people wouldn't see them. I believe more and more landowners are going to start using trail cameras to watch their land.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

That would work until someone wants to come up and steal all your cameras while wearing a ski mask or something else to conceal their identity.

Even buying a chain and lock would still not be enough for someone that really wants the cameras, they could just cut through the chain or cut the tree down.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would think that if you take the time to get to know your neighbors, they will help to keep an eye on things. As an added incentive let a couple of them know that they can hunt small game on your place before and after deer season, if they look out for things. If you simply come into an area, act aloof, and try to lay down the law, some of the locals will take deer off of you just for the challenge.

Quick Reply: Non-res landowners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.