Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Illinois vs. Texas

Old 04-18-2006, 07:39 PM
CJW

Default Illinois vs. Texas

No offense to either state. Just need some info. Can anyone point me towards a site that has the number of good bucks that are takeneach year in each state.

Thanks

CJW
Old 04-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Illinois vs. Texas

Since when does Illinois have good bucks?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would assume that in terms of sheer numbers, Texas will have higher numbers of big bucks taken annually, and that will be because Texas is a much larger state with much more hunting ground. I don't know if there are studies that would provide actually statistically valid comparisons based on amount of habitat versus annual harvest.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live and hunt in Texas, and my dream is to hunt Illinois. The only reason that I haven't taken the plunge YETis that our place in northwest Oklahoma has similar deer to the midwest in size and racks.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Texas deer hunting is very overrated. Don't come here, you'll be dissappointed.[8D]
Old 04-19-2006, 10:21 PM

ORIGINAL: North Texan

Texas deer hunting is very overrated. Don't come here, you'll be dissappointed.[8D]
LOL
Old 04-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted both states quite a bit. 4/5 different south Texas ranches, including the Kenedy. All my Illinois hunting has been on public land. Hunted it for maybe 10 years. I highly prefer Illinois due to the cost savings. Illinois public land is equal if not better than Texas private land.No way I'd pay to lease land in Texas now. Would be glad to visit and hunt someone else's lease for free though.

Always wondered why I didn't see more Texas plates when I hunted on Kansas public land. Not a long drive to hunt quality land for for only the tag fee. Great campgrounds as well. Guess some folks just don't mind paying lease fees every year.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:50 AM

it depends on whats type of terrain you are willing to hunt, along with the body weights of he deer. il is hillier and has more cover in parts (pike, adams, brown counties for example) the deer have lots of good food to eat with all of the farms around. i've hunted IL my whole life and love it. trophy deer are taken yearly from both states.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:48 AM

I've also hunted both and both have some nice deer. I've always liked living in Texas but the lease fees are high. But the deer shot in Illinois with all that corn were usually bigger and no lease fees.