Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Kansas deer

Old 04-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Spike

Default Kansas deer

[blockquote]I've got three points as a nonresident for Kansas and would really like to get in on a high quality trophy deer hunt (W.T. or M.D.) I can do archery, muzzle or rifle but am not sure of the better areas or outfitters (or better yet, DIY). 150" W.T. minimum - 180" M.D. minimum. Thanks for any hints. [/blockquote]
Old 04-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kansas deer

If you were to hunt Public access lands, then I would hunt Archery only. A lot of the public land in Kansas is hunted very hard. Archery season seems tohave less pressure. Mule Deer are only in the Western 1/3 of the state, but I believe are available to residents only. The further you get east, the larger the herd gets... but the more hunters as well. Unless you know someone with private land, the best bet for a successful hunt with a nice buck would be an outfitter. Sorry, I don't have any experience with them.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:44 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I'm in the same 3 point boat. Passed on the first year of PP's and am now paying, because we are not in the top draw pool by one point. You could apply for unit 1 or 2 western rifle mulie, but not being in the top draw pool will kill that chance. No NR archery mulie out there. My buddy drew the unit 2 hunt a couple years back and took a nice buck. However, he sought permission knocking on doors.

I'd have to agree it's best to just apply for an eastern WT tag and go during archery season on public land. We did this 3 times and I was just getting good finding spots. Killed a 120" the last year. Make sure you plan your hunt to end the first or second day of the pheasant opener, normally Nov. 6/7/8. The public land is ruined after that. Scores of pheasant hunters and their dogs from all over the country. I wasted many a primetime day before figuring out it was a waste of time. You will find tremendous deer sign and wonder where the bucks are if you go after the pheasant opener. They will be nocturnal. By contrast, we saw virtually zero bowhunters given the land available. Plenty of prime funnels with no competition. This year the opener is Nov. 4th. Go October 28-November 5 and pray for cold weather.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Spike

Not sure what your looking for? However if you are interestd I may be able to help as far as an oufitter goes. Very reputable, very good hunting areaat a fair price. Email me [email protected] for more information. Thanks
Old 04-12-2006, 06:31 AM
Spike

1) Mule deer are open to all hunters- resident and non

2) When you gain preference points-- you better check to see if what you are gaining in preference points can be credited any where in the state.

My understanding is you only gain preference in the area you were denied in. I could be wrong, but you'd hate to be racking up points in the wrong area.