Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Candles - Doe in Heat???

Old 10-25-2002, 01:26 PM

Default Candles - Doe in Heat???

Has anyone had any success with the scented candles such as "doe in heat" Just curious thinking about dropping a few dollars on them but am thinking about just sticking to Good Ol Tinks #69 scent bombs instead. Can I get some opinions on this dilemma?
Old 10-25-2002, 04:28 PM

Default RE: Candles - Doe in Heat???

Cableguy,

Are these the ones that work like an insent? I wanted to grap a few of them my self the other day but didn't, thinking if they would really work.

However, I few other hunters grabing some supplies said they have used them and have seen deer come around while they are activated.

I will try them out and see, let us know if they work for you if you use them.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-27-2002, 10:14 AM

i have been using the candle for several years.nothing works everytime. the candles work the best out of everything i use. you can smell those things hours after they are used.i had a small buck trying to smell the candle and spread his front legs so wide he fell. did not have the heart to shoot him. i think he was embarassed.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:02 AM

thanks for your thoughts the jury is still out in my opinion. So I think I will stick with Tinks for the time being maybe next season I might give them a try. Not enough time for me to hunt & try something I am not sure will work. Thanks
Old 10-28-2002, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

I tryed candles this year durring the bow season here in southeast Texas with no success. My biggest complaint is that durring the early morning hours the candle glows like a light house in the woods. Even inside a tin can it still put off a substancial glow. This may or may not be an issue but it seems to me it could be a bad thing. I think durring the mid day it is a good idea. I will continue to try it and see what happens. Good luck.

Happy hunting,
loanstarhunter
Old 10-28-2002, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used some that I bought from the guys at www.whitetailproducts.com Like Dep said, nothing will work everytime. I used the candles about 3-4 times last year on the tail end of the rut with no success. However, I have put out liquid scents probably hundreds of times with no success. The scent candles definatly sent the scent into the air and into a lot of places that liquid scent won't go. It is just amazing how strong they really are.

Loanstar is right, they do put off a glow but I try to hang my candle on a limb with alot of leaves or other limbs hiding it the best I can. Once it is daylight you can't see it any longer. I whatched a bowhunting video from the show Closing the Distance (they are the guys at Whitetail Products) and they had a big buck come in and stick his nose right on the "lantern" holding the candle. You might give it a try! Good luck!

--------------------------------------------
Hunting the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:48 PM

the type of scent the candle uses depneds upon you success also. using doe in heat when there is no rut will not work. i do put my candle in a can that still has the lid attached. i pull the lid almost all the way down. i usually pile some dirt around it also. i never have seen the glow.i can smell that stuff from over 150 yards away. last year it drew in a buck from over 400 yds away. he was just too small to shoot. i had used tinks for years and never did have any luck with it. i tried the incense sticks but they either went out or burned too quick. you can smell the odor from the candle for hours later. i have had the candles stop many dear in their tracks even though they did not come to the candle.