Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunt the edge??

Old 02-17-2006, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunt the edge??

I lease some land in WV and about 50% of which is 25 yr old pines is scheduled to be timbered.

Right now I treat the pines as a Safe zone for the deer and I try to never enter these sections.

Once the pines are removed, do you think it would be a good idea to move my stand locations along the edge of the clear cut where they meet the oaks?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunt the edge??

In my experience, it will be a good location as soon as new browse begins to appear. Depending on what time of year they cut the pines, it may or may not happen in time for this season. I'd be scouting this area off and on in late summer to see if there are forbes etc. coming up. This should become a good area in the next few years for nighttime feeding, but even in mid-day, deer might come out a short way for a nibble.
Other factors, such as distance from roads, terrain and accesibility to water will also play a part.

IM jaybe
Old 02-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jaybe

In my experience, it will be a good location as soon as new browse begins to appear. Depending on what time of year they cut the pines, it may or may not happen in time for this season. I'd be scouting this area off and on in late summer to see if there are forbes etc. coming up. This should become a good area in the next few years for nighttime feeding, but even in mid-day, deer might come out a short way for a nibble.
Other factors, such as distance from roads, terrain and accesibility to water will also play a part.

IM jaybe

I also agree!
Old 02-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Edges are usually very good for deer , especially after the new growth starts coming up . I hunt clear cuts a year or two after cutting and they can be deer magnets .