Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fair Chase???

Old 02-16-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Fair Chase???

What is the difference of hunting and shooting????
Whould you rather go to a fenced in place; pick out a deer with a big rack and just shoot him or go hunting somewhere and stumble on old mossy head?
Ifyou need meat i go to the grocery store. Ifyou want to impress buddies i buy a stripper.
were has the fun and adventure gone?
Old 02-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Fair Chase???

That kind of hunting is not for me but in fairness I have my own land plus access to several thousand acres of bordering private land. So its easy for me to talk. There is no public land in the unit where I hunt so you either own land or get permission from landowners to hunt. Most in that unit have started charging people to hunt. Hunting is not heading in a direction that I like. Its becoming a rich mans sport. Will there be anyplace left to hunt for my grandkids. With Lease hunting and the Government talking of selling public land, I have doubts.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

I dont get this whole fenced in hunting thing. I think it is a disgrace to all hunting and it jus gives the animal righst wackooos my fuel. In my book it is shootin and not hunting what so ever. I would rather shoot any size of deer then go to a fenced area out and pick outone for the wall.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

i meant More fuel**
Old 02-17-2006, 02:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fair chase hunts for meat aint wrong. Thats all I eat is wqild game meat.That red dyed grocery meat full of chemicals is for side walk sissies
Old 02-17-2006, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never hunted fenced in property and never will. But, to think that all fenced in land is shooting and not hunting, might be an error in judgement.

The King Ranch in Texas in larger than the entire state of Rhode Island and deer hunting is offered there. To simply say "fenced-in" land, thisdoes not give and honest impression on that style of hunting.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will take blind luck anyday and here is why. 2004 Alfalfa county Oklahoma on family land, gross scored 178 and had never been seen before.

Old 02-17-2006, 07:54 AM

Jimmy makes a good point.
"Fenced" has to be taken into context. Don't get me wrong, shooting a deer in a pen is wrong. I am not making a case for it being ok, but just spurring discussion as to where that grey area might be.
If you are hunting a hundred acre parcelwith a fence, could that be considered fair chase? Probably depends on the topography and ground cover/trees. What about 200 acres, 300 , 400? A couple hundred acre fenced in area in the swamps and hardwoods of Mississippi and Alablama is absoloutly different compared to the same area in south Texas or Oklahoma.Hunting bean fields and cutovers of a couple hundred acres is also incomparable to the steep hills and forests of southern Tenn and northern Alabama.
I read a study several years ago in which they put a dozen deer in a 5 acre high fence pen and put a bunch of people in with them to see if they could spot them. Really wish I had kept the article. The intent was to see how and how well deer can hide. The deer avoided the people by crouching, crawling, and basically hiding. The people had problems locating the deer, even when walking abrest and driving through the enclosure. They even recaptured the deer and put red collars on them to help the hunters, even then they had problems locating the deer.
So,
My question here is, what do you guys think constitues a small enuff area to be unsporting??
200 acres? 500 acres?
r
Hank
Old 02-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Like I've said in the past, hunting, especially deer hunting, has become a big business. Few people are going to let people hunt for free if they can lease their land for up to 50 bucks an acre or charge people for individual hunts. This is now very true even for small landowners. I only own 19 acres of woods.But, it is full of deer and turkey, andif i wanted, I could probably have it leased out for next year by the end of today.

People have aright to lease their land, and the leasers have the right to post it. The quicker that alternatives can be developed for this situation, or more publiclands can be opened to hunting, theless chance that hunting will become a rich mans sport.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never in my life will I understand the argument that the fenced area is so big that it's just like fair chase. Why the need for the fence then? If it's big enough to simulate fair chase it's big enough to practice QDM without the need of a fence. You won't catch me closing a gate behind me when I head out to go hunting anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Fair Chase???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.