Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fair Chase???

Old 02-17-2006, 03:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Fair Chase???

You ought to get in on some of the discussions that bowhunters have.
I have and it makes me dizzy.

Lanse-
Here's an interesting article I came across....

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fwt/back_issues/january01/article7.html

Old 02-17-2006, 03:13 PM

Lanse,
Everything I have ever read says that a deers range is usually a square mile or less. With does being much less and bucks, depending on the season more.

Does tend to stay in the area they are born while young bucks tend to relocate. The one exception to young bucks moving is that if their mother is killed, by hunting or accident, they tend to stay in the area that they were born more often than other young bucks.

All of this depends heavily on availability of water andfood, especially favorite foods and food during times of hardship.
R
Hank
Old 02-17-2006, 03:20 PM

OK so I made a 2 minute search on the net and found out that the term fair chase stems from Theodore Roosevelt andfriends, in the Boone and Crocket club, at the turn of thelast century. And by the guys that defined it, fences is clearly not considered Fair chase since fenced game is not free ranging. But, just as clearly, it can never be fair chase with small game or game, not native to America.
But the real question was perhaps if it ca be considered ethical and sportsmanlike which I find it possible to be. I do not have a problem with deer farms either.In fact Ilike them,since they bring more people into eating venison and hence increase peoples open mindness to hunting. Anyway heres the link:

http://www.boone-crockett.org/huntingEthics/ethics_fairchase.asp?area=huntingEthics
Old 02-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Darn, you mean I can't enter my cottontail or pheasant in B&C because of the rules that a bunch of rich white boys passed 100 years ago?

Old 02-17-2006, 03:36 PM

Well I just thought that since the guys made up the expression, their definition should somehow be mentioned

Here in Europe we cant hunt Fair chase, no matter how we do!
Old 02-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't mind doing a little unfair chase involving some of those hot Swedish blondes over there[8D]
Old 02-17-2006, 03:41 PM

Well, sometimes the fence is there to keep people out
Old 02-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i did not read all the reply's but from what i did read....no one has cleared up the term hunting fenced property and hunting high fenced property. imo hunting fenced property is fine, the deer can still come and go as they please...being able to leave the property. from my experience, these fences are just property markers to show property boundries. now high fence is a different story, high fences are meant to keep wild game on specific property where they can not leave...i think this is wrong. the only way you "own" game is if it has been purchased from some type of licensed breeder. i don't think it's right to just high fence in wild game and call them yours because you have restricted their movement from your property with high fencing. jmo
Old 02-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whats a fence? Whatever it is, I know I don't like em.

Bobby
Old 02-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Camo,

You should go back and check the thread. The pros and cons of your question/statement were covered at length, and it is pretty interesting stuff.

Quick Reply: Fair Chase???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.