Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 need ur guys help...please give me an estimate >

need ur guys help...please give me an estimate

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

need ur guys help...please give me an estimate

Old 02-15-2006, 03:43 PM

Default need ur guys help...please give me an estimate

hey again

well, my search for some private hunting land continues. I have a new possibility. I sent out some letters and a man called me today. he claimed that he has 287 acres up in Northern WV. he said it is almost all forest, with a little marsh, some tough terrain and some easy terrain. He does not hunt and hasnt really leased it before, but he told me to ask around and see what a general price would be for a year. I have nooooo idea of how much. I will appreciate any estimates/suggestions. Its a fact that i dont have that much money to spend, but i want an honest opinion. He said he would get some #'s and call me saturday, and we will compare. How much do you think 287 acres would go for for a annual lease? It will probably be to expensive for me, but he told me to get some estimates so thats my new mission. I forget the county it is in, but it is in Northernn WV, about 2 1/2 hours from Baltimore. Please respond and give me a general estimate from your guys' past experience. Thanks alot fellas.

Bren tG
Old 02-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: need ur guys help...please give me an estimate

do you mean like the northern panhandle of WV or preston county or Eastern panhandle or where?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Down here $6.00 per acre plus about $.25 for insurance is a relatively cheap price for a year's lease. I've heard of land in the $15 or more per year range.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

As far as figureing out a price for the lease, I guess I probably can't help you there. But if cash is that tight for you, be up front and honest with the guy. Ask him if there might be some odd jobs or some work around his house or land that you could do in exchange for hunting rights or permission. If he's an older gentleman, I bet he would take that over some cash in a heart beat! Just an option for you.

Good Luck!
Old 02-16-2006, 02:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

5 to 10 bucks depending on amount of deer
Old 02-16-2006, 05:49 AM

gosh guys is it really costing that much. I havent leased any land before, but man even at 6 bucks an acre thats over 1700.00. I would love to lease land but looks like public land is my destiny.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:47 AM

287 Acres is a nice chunk of land. If you can lease it for $6 or $7 an acre your looking at $2000 a year, thats where you find 3 other buddies $500 a pop and you have yourself a nice hunting spot. 287 acres is plenty of room for 4 hunters.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I lease land from a timber co. in Central WV (Wirt Co.) The cost is $4.25 per acre. The lease is renewable each year (April or May).

Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Atta-boy, geterdun!! I told you letters would work!! As far as prices, I'm not 100% sure. I think I'd have to know where it was first. What I mean is, some parts of WV are very rural and $1 holds alot more value than other parts of the state. From personal experience, I can tell you that I leased property once, 28 acres and it was $150 per person. Probably a little steep. Lefty is definately right about going in with some of your buddies and pooling your money.Make sure to work out all details with the guy, though. Such as if you'll be the only person allowed on the property or if he lets his uncle Petey hunt it, too. I've heard stories about guys leasing property only to find out the guy also let 20 other guys hunt it.

Slice
Old 02-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Down here $6.00 per acre plus about $.25 for insurance is a relatively cheap price for a year's lease. I've heard of land in the $15 or more per year range.

Timber, back in 1994-1999we leased 1600 acres from Proctor &Gamble in Madison, Fl. for $42,000 a year. There were 70 members @ $600 ea. That was$26.25 per acre.

Quick Reply: need ur guys help...please give me an estimate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.