Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Minimum shot....

Old 11-24-2004, 06:36 PM
TAC

Default Minimum shot....

What is the minimum shot you would use for turks?
Ga requires #2, do you use other?
Thanks!
Old 11-25-2004, 08:19 AM

Default RE: Minimum shot....

In Alabama it is #2s or smaller. I like #4s. Best thing to do is go pattern your gun with different size shot. The most common sizes are 4, 5, and 6.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

TAC.....sure thats not the MAXIMUM size?? #2 is actually bigger then say number 6....my state also says the biggest allowed is number 2 steel and #4 lead.......not sure if you knew but the small the number, the bigger the shot....so number 2 is pretty big....i use #4 lead shot for my turkey hunting....but you should test diffrent loads and shot sizes and chokes to see what throws the best pattern in your gun.......good luck......PS...welcome to the boards.....alot of great guys here....dont be shy!
Old 11-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

I actually use a Remington magnum 4 x 6 combo TAC. Gotta pattern to see how it works as mentioned but just thought I'd pass that on. I couldn't decide when I first started so the gun shop rep said i didn't have to decide. Go with the combo. It ended up aptterning quite well out to 35yds for me. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:09 PM
TAC

Thanks, guys, I'll do some research b/t now and the season.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Generally speaking, 6's would be as small as most folks use. Some hevi-shot loads use 7's in their multiplex loads but those are custom loads. Off the shelf, no smaller than a 6.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Federal made a 12 ga 3.5 inch load with 2 1/4 oz of #7 1/2 had a pellet count of like 800 pellets with a turkey full choke from my mossberg 835 at 40 yard would put over 100 pellets in the head and neck of a turkey target. it was a pretty good load to about 30 yards the pellet just didnt have enough energy to penetrate very deep in a turkeys head at 40 yards though I killed a couple turkeys around 40 yards with them always in the back of mind i thought what if I didnt have the mass of the pattern lined up with its head , even with the lack of penetration with a high enough pellet count they did the trick. That was in missouri where we were limited to shot size #4 or smaller shotgun only, here in Arizona its like kansas turkey season we can use whatever bow, shotgun, rifle, pistol and even rimfires.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:27 AM

Make sure to take a good look at the regs for your state. Several years ago my friend took a couple birds with lead 7 1/2s. I took my first bird back in 85 with a Mag 10 and Rem Duplex BBx4. Both of those loads are now illegal in my state. (Maryland) As I said check the regs because they were legal then but a couple years ago the imited us to 4s, 5s and 6s only. Some states also only allow certain types of shot. ( ie. lead, steel, bismuth etc. ) Winchester's #5 3" turkey loads have taken my last 2 birds.