Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Snuck up behind a Cougar!

Old 10-17-2002, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Snuck up behind a Cougar!

2 seasons ago, walking out at dusk after deer hunting all day by myself. Walking downhill on an old logging trail out of the clear-cut I always hunt. Saw a dark lump where the road I was on T'd with the road out to my truck (~3/4 mile away) but thought it was a stump. Kept walking quiet, trying to be sneaky in case a deer was nearby (had seen several deer while walking out this way in the past). No deer but still that dark mass in the road ahead. Got to about 50 yards away and decided to see what it was through my scope. I brought my gun up to my shoulder and looked and just as my crosshairs settled on the "stump" it stood up from a sitting, facing away position, and walked off the road over the edge away from me. I couldn't believe my eyes but I was seriously scared. After it disappeared over the edge I heard crashing, snorting, and thumping as it must have been stalking some deer on the far side of the road. It never knew I was even there. Of course I had to walk to the spot where it was sitting to get out of the area but by this time I was shaking. I looked around very hard but s/he was gone. Full size cat I'm sure but not a huge Tom.

Needless to say I walked backward to my truck that night. I still hunt the same area and every day I walk in there I get nervous and think about what I would do if attacked. Hunting the same area last fall my brother-in-law and a kid from the camp next to us saw a cat (probably the same one) in the exact same spot. It darted across the road right in front of them chasing a hare in the mid-morning.

Finally this year I've come to grips with it and since I'm 6', 220lb. I finally feel like I'm big enough that I could hold my own against him, or at least give him a run for his money. I have started to carry a fixed knife on my belt from now on up there (instead of the folding one I also carry). Still I play it out in my mind just what I would do "in case". I also leave a note at camp on where I'm hunting every day and stay true to that note.

Anyone else have some true, exciting adventures of close encounters in the wild?

-Power
Old 10-17-2002, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Snuck up behind a Cougar!

They will make you pay attention as you walk out in the dark!Saw one while sitting in my stand during bow season.

Hunting is not a sport,it's a lifestyle.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't be so sure big guy that you can take care of yourself with a cat. A cougar/mountain lion/Florida panther are capable of killing an animal 6 times their size in body weight. I have heard of a few attacks here in the NW and it seems a majority are male juveniles. Its seems the older cats (as long as food source is availiable) will be more recluseive and not near as bold. It would be a freaky thing for you to be attacked by a cat but the chances are there and since you are in their yard, I would show them the respect. Later.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:26 PM

Hey man I know it makes you need to clean your shorts! But,,,,,how many people never get the opportunity to get that close. If you are really worried about it you could wear a helmet and protective collar. Bottom line is if IT wants you, you may wind up in a very BIG cat's litter box. Want to read about experience with big cat's try looking up an author by the name of Capstick. No, not Chapstick, Capstick.

"Size may not matter but it sho IS nice!" [/quote]
Old 10-18-2002, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

I dont know why I read these stories? It just makes me think more when I go out in the woods. I am glad MN dont have no big cats like that around that I know of, but I have heard up where I will be hunting in a few weeks there has been supposedly sightings of mountain lions but I dont know specifically where. As I have said before, I like to carry a trusty 45 or 9mm at my side just in case I would have to use it if I was attcked and lost my rifle in a struggle with an animal like that. Then even if that happened, I just hope to get a handle of my side arm if it did attack me. Extra precautions dont hurt. I think I would have been cleaning my britches out for a couple of days if I had an encounter like that. Good story.

Starrman

Ron Starr
Old 10-18-2002, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get me wrong, I know a big cat could definately put the hurt on anyone. Just most of the attacks you hear about are on women or children. Us big burley men usually don't have to worry about it as much. I guess I'm just picking your brains a little about what you do to deal with the fear of being attacked, even if they aren't going to try to eat you later. When they attack deer and elk they generally go for the throat like a lion and suffocate their prey. I figure if he's chomping on me like that I got at least a couple minutes with at least one arm to either beat on him real good or get my knife out.

Hopefully that will never happen but who knows?
Old 10-18-2002, 03:03 PM

On Monday, I walked out from where I was sitting in a clear cut, and had cat tracks cut mine in the snow about 100 yds from where I was sitting. Got the heart beating a little faster

bag em' and tag em'
Old 10-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Starman, you as others have a misconception that you can really protect yourself with a sidearm from a cat or bear. Maybe in Hollywood, what that side arm does though is give you confidence, but in reality you are not going to have a chance to react to an attack with a pistol fast enough. You are usually being attacked/abushed within a split moment and out of surprise. If I had to leave my 45 or bear spray at the kabin I would choose to take the bear spray in the bush.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:59 AM

A close encounter can certainly make you more aware of what is in the woods with you. Last week I was in my stand, watching a doe and her fawn brouse by, while I was also watching a squirrel family coming and going from their hole in the tree next to me. The doe turned, stomped and snorted and I thought she had winded me when I saw movement in the grass between us. In a heart beat, there was a bobcat in the tree next to me, clawing at the squirrel hole and I about jumped from the tree. My movement caused the bobcat to bolt, but my heart didn't slow for quite some time. It happened sooo quickly, I dont think I could have drawn a pistol, without shooting myself.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me having a pistol or knife at my side isn't so much to fend off the animal but to grab for in desparation after the animal is attacking me. I'm no expert but in my mind if I'm on the ground being attacked hopefully I'll have the presence of mind to grab for the weapon to get the critter off me.

Who knows? The reality of it is pretty bleak but I'd rather have that option than not.

Quick Reply: Snuck up behind a Cougar!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.