Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Snuck up behind a Cougar!

Old 10-23-2002, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Snuck up behind a Cougar!

Cougars are incredible predators and, as has been stated above, a person wouldn't normally have much of a chance in a surprise attack.
We have a significant population of them here. Over the past few years in British Columbia, they have attacked pets, colts, joggers, people on bikes, and even people on horseback. A few years ago, a woman was killed in south central B.C. while she and 2 others were aboard their horses.

Yet, there recently occurred an attack on a lone individual, which he survived and the cougar did not. A fellow on Vancouver Island (an island 240 miles long on coastal B.C.) was pounced on but he managed to get out his lock-blade knife and kill the cat. This happened last Summer and he was interviewed on TV just 2 nights ago. His multiple injuries are still healing.

Although packing some sort of weapon could possibly help you survive such an attack, wresting with a cougar is not something that I'd recommend.

Edited by - Canuck_2 on 10/23/2002 16:11:51
Old 10-23-2002, 02:47 PM
Dominant Buck

They are impressive creatures. On my land the Brazos river cuts through it. I set one day scoping for mule deer and noticed a cougar working the river. He caught my attention, so I watched him for about an hour. He was stalking a hog. It was pretty cool, I wish I would have had a video camera. He caught the hog and killed it pretty quick. I was glad I was on a 40 foot bluf, It allowed me to set and watch him for about a hour and a half.

I always carry a side arm when I hunt (44mag) incase I have hogs come up on me. I now carry it for the cougars as well. Dont want to be the food for one of those guys.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:14 PM

Power,

Have you ever had a common house cat freak out on you? Man, a 15 pound cat can mess you up as far a pretty serious wounds, I know.

I came across a Bobcat a few years back and buddy that was enough to get my attention, esspecially when the big puss seemed to not like me in his area and came twords me pretty aggressivly.

Nothing a shot over his head couldn't do to ward him off. BUT, what if you managed to run into this or a really big cat like a mountain lion or it stocked you.

Unless your pretty lucky and can manage to get your knife out or your side arm you may have a chance.

Keep those eye open, remember that cat could absolutley take you and me down in a spit second. Our strangth may be a challange to the cat but it those claws and TEETH!

Never run from a cat or bear ect. we can manage to ward of large animals that could eat us just my standing our ground and making some noises, scream like heck!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-24-2002, 07:54 AM

THE KNIFE IS GOOD, BUT YOU ALSO MAY WANT TO CARRY SOME PEPPER SPRAY.
-RYAN

RYAN SMITH
Old 10-24-2002, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

121553 quote,

Ya I know what you are saying that I probally would not have time to react, but extra precautions could not hurt the matter. The main reason I do carry my side arm is because of timber wolves. You do not want to run into a pack of them. Bigger and stronger then regular wolves. I could use my rifle but its just extra precation. I think I will bring some pepper spray out.

Starrman

Ron Starr
Old 10-24-2002, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Starrman
A side arm is a good Idea. Rifles are a little two hard to swing around and shoot when something is right up on you. I use to not carry one until one day while turkey hunting a buddy of mine had to use his. He had made a blind in a wash out with only one way in and out. He always carried a 357. He didnt see any trukey that day but had a rather large hog crawl in his blind with him. The hog freaked out and went for him, the only thing that keep him from getting hurt was that 357. I now have one with me any time I am hunting on the ground.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

burniegoeasily: I hear that! You just never know. Even if there was some kind of struggle with an animal like that, hopefully I could just be able to grab my side arm! My buddies have been hunting the area for years now where I am going. Every year someone in the group has seen timberwolves in the area. There are supposedly Mountain lions too, but I just hope I dont run into either. The land I will be in is quite vast which goes for hundreds of miles all the way into Canada. It gets pretty thick. I will probabally be laughing my ass off walking through the woods thicking about these stories, but also looking over my shoulder every couple of seconds.

Ron Starr
Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

While Mule Deer hunting in 2007 and Elk hunting in 2009 (both in Colorado), I never saw one, but the big cats were certainly in my fore thought as I walked as dusk and dawn. I hunted alone and the elk trip was with archery equipment.

Can't wait to get back
Old 04-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

remember the old saying for every second a cat has his claws on you you'll require 100 stitches...

how long you planning this fight to last? have health insurance...?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Spike

A number of people have been seeing more cats in the southwest bowzone around Calgary (about a 25mile radius) in the last few years. It's a fairly settled area, lots of small subdivisions of places where 1/4 sections have been subdivided,a lot of places you can't hunt on. People have had their dogs and cats taken out of their yards, one guy had both his dogs taken the same week off his porch, he saw it out the front window.
I know two people who have shot cats that were following them while hunting, one with a gun, followed him for over a mile at less than 50yds,he shot it at 15. Had to retrace the route with a fishcop following the cat track. He got to keep it. Another one who was bowhunting , shot one at 20 yds,you have to handle one to appreciate how big and strong they really are. This one jumped about 50-60ft when hit and ran into a swamp to croak. It's still there.
Need to respect them, they definitely can take any of us down if they want to.

Quick Reply: Snuck up behind a Cougar!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.