Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Size of Rubs

Old 01-18-2006, 10:23 PM

Default Size of Rubs

Can u tell a size of a buck by the size of a rub?

I have seen only 3 rubs in my lifetime ( i have only hunted this year) but when i go to pick up my stand i will take a pic
Old 01-19-2006, 12:09 AM

Default RE: Size of Rubs

Andrew rarely will a small buck rub a large tree, but I have seen both small and large bucks rub the same small trees. One particular morning this season I watched a dandy 3.5 year old 140inch 8ptr (gonna give him one more year!) rub a small tree. 30 minutes later I watched a 1.5 year old forkhorn rub the exact same tree. I have seen such scenarios played out year after year. But in my 2 decades of chasin deer, I have yet to see small bucks rub trees much over 2" in diameter.

Good luck,
RA
Old 01-19-2006, 10:54 AM

i usually say that the larger the tree larger the buck. but sometimes the larger bucks would rub smaller trees like red said. on the property i hunted this year i only saw small trees rubbed then my dad got a spike and we saw a small 4 and big 6the next day we went out went to the pines and saw a much lager tree newly rubbed. that deer was remaking his property. he was a 9pointer that herd dads grunt calls and came down for a fight and i got him. he was my first deer so i learned alot this year.
good luck with getting the deer
Old 01-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

The property I hunt is on my friend's grandpaws farm and I saw the biggest rubs I have ever seen. My father in laaw has been hunting for 30 years and told me that he has never seen rubs the size of the ones we saw this year. He has taken some large deer also. I am going to cut corn with them this year to get a first hand experience on the size of these bucks. Last summer they say they saw one 23 plus inches and tall. I can't wait to get my trail cameras up and my feeder, hopefully next week.