Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SI hunter article

Old 01-12-2006, 10:21 AM
jf5

Default SI hunter article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/frank_deford/01/10/hunters/index.html

Sports Illistrated article on declininghunter numbers. Let me know what you think of the tone of this article. I find some specific lines rather offensive to hunters...
Old 01-12-2006, 10:26 AM

Default RE: SI hunter article

That guy is in left field pretty much with everthing stated. This did ruffle my feathers a bit more than anything else.

Hunters, meanwhile, pretty much see deer as big rats, lyme-disease carrying vermin, who happen to taste good once they get properly shot and become venison.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:44 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

That guy is in left field pretty much with everthing stated. This did ruffle my feathers a bit more than anything else.

Hunters, meanwhile, pretty much see deer as big rats, lyme-disease carrying vermin, who happen to taste good once they get properly shot and become venison.
That line specifically was the worst. A few others where pretty bad too..
Old 01-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Quote From SI > "Hunters, meanwhile, pretty much see deer as big rats, lyme-disease carrying vermin, who happen to taste good once they get properly shot and become venison."

who is this idiot ?

I have heard in Texas the income for the state and its retailersis hundreds of millions of dollars each year. I hardly think the sport is in crises
Old 01-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

WHAT A JOKE!!! This guy is such a bonehead!!! I think that we should all boycott SI...except maybe the swimsuit issue.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:51 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: NEB.BuckHunter

WHAT A JOKE!!! This guy is such a bonehead!!! I think that we should all boycott SI...except maybe the swimsuit issue.
Get Maxum Magand forget the SI swimsuit issue!!

I already know hunters who have cancelled with SI over this...
Old 01-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

the entire premise of the article, hunter numbers on the decline, is wrong

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/news/2005/1031/2209589.html
Old 01-12-2006, 12:47 PM

I think that we should all boycott SI...except maybe the swimsuit issue
I agree totally. I would hate to do anything that might hurt those models
Old 01-12-2006, 09:44 PM

Kind of ironic that a writer for Sports Illustrated would actually be against the sportsman. I couldn't tell which side he was on exactly, he worded things pretty awful for both sides.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think the article was aimed at disparaging hunters. Yes, there are some lines that are offensive, in the sense that I object to the content. For example, the characterization that hunters see deer as vermin like rats, infested by lyme's disease, is an incorrect and negative characterization of hunters. At the same time, it is obvious the tone of this article is very light hearted and even just a bit silly. US non-hunters are also lampooned just a bit when they are characterized.

Pretty insubstantial article, but not something that damages hunters in my opinion (though it doesn't help them either).

Quick Reply: SI hunter article

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.