Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Traditions

Old 01-11-2006, 01:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Traditions

Before I make this statement, let me say this: I am all for quality deer management, and in many areas, with better management, there would be better deer!
But, as a matter of fact MOST hunters ARE NOT TROPHY HUNTERS!
Many hunters, just enjoy the outdoors, the hunting camps, and the MEAT!There are many "traditions," that vary from place, to place!
NO legal, hunter like to have their styles, questioned, or being called "cheaters!
Many of these "TRADITIONS," may be foreign to hunters from other areas!
I, for an example, have never been part of a deer "drive!" Nor, have Iever heard of one in this area!
Many others have been brought-up driving deer! The same is true forhunting with dogs, baiting,etc., etc., etc.!!!
Here in Texas, FEEDERS, have been around forever!
These are just a few of the many regional, "TRADITIONS," that are LEGAL in these places! Just because you don't do it that way, it doesn't make it any less legal, or does itmake itcheating!
Whether you hunt for the trophy, or the meat, or both,we asLEGAL HUNTERS,share the common love of game animals, outdoors, and sport hunting! (There is no such thing as an "illegal hunter," they are POACHERS!)
So, lets all try to be a little more respective of each others hunters rights, and legal traditions!!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Traditions

I agree 100%. We don't bait nor run dogs around here in the U.P. of Michigan. But we drive usually every other day. It's really fun and and adventure!
Old 01-11-2006, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I also agree , hunt the way that's legal where you are and enjoy yourself .
Feeders , baiting , and many other practices that are illegal here are just part of the tradition somewhere else .
Old 01-11-2006, 08:10 AM

Very well said JagMag, I agree with you 100%.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jag,

I'm glad that you did clarify "legal traditions"in your post as opposed to simply tradition. Folks should keep in mind that whatmay be widelytraditional and accepted (i.e. "we've always one it this way") in a particular area may not necessarily be legal.Itsimportant to note that people are often raised to viewcertain things as acceptable, and they may not even know otherwise until adulthood, if then.As someone pointed out elsewhere, the fish and game laws are many and often complex, and only partially covered in the state guides.I try to read and follow every new state guide that comes out, but still occasionally find myself doing something thatmay, or may not, get me ticketed. I'm not trying to start an argument here. In fact, I'm going to simply shut up and listen to others. I just find it both fascinating (and sometimes confusing) the ways that tradition and law sometime overlap and sometimes are in conflict.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:22 AM

I agree with everything said here!
We all prejudice and it is easy to stare at the dark side of those things we already "know" to be bad.

Dogs are noisy and in the wrong place!
Still hunters shoot at to long distances!
Bow hunters choose a more difficult way of shooting and are at a greater risk at making bad shots!
Feeders and baiters steal game and spread disease!
and so on....

Well there could well be a grain of truth in all this BSbut we are so wrong when we call this the mainstream of the named way. We just make it to easy on ourselves and thats when we get holy. We choose to focus on a detail and just enlarge it more and more.

IMO anyway!

Old 01-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche
Jag,
I'm glad that you did clarify "legal traditions"in your post as opposed to simply tradition. Folks should keep in mind that whatmay be widelytraditional and accepted (i.e. "we've always one it this way") in a particular area may not necessarily be legal.

I just find it both fascinating (and sometimes confusing) the ways that tradition and law sometime overlap and sometimes are in conflict.
Very good points LCC! I hope that we keep this thread to the point, and so far we all have!
As you know my philosophy is "if its legal, YOU HAVE a CHOICE, if its ILLEGAL YOU DON'T HAVE a CHOICE!"
When we start mixing "ethics," into the equation, the picture can become fuzzy!
Legal, and ethics, go hand in hand, and sometimes overlap! No, really theyoverlap almost perfectly! Except, whenin some circumstances, ethics, and legal are at odds, against each other!This usually happens when we use "personal ethics!" It really starts to complicate things!
You end up with "legal," ethics," "personal ethics," and "TRADITION!"
Thereare "illegal traditions," that become so in-grained, a person will "justify," an illegal tradition, to their "personal ethics," so that to them, what they are doing is legal in their own mind! THIS IS WRONG!
On the other hand, some "traditions," are taught to be taboo, even though they are perfectly legal in other places! (Again, this IS personal ethics! Personal ethics should not be used to accuse other legal people! It is, and should be a source of pride, but it should NOT be what we judge otherwise, legal people by!)
For the sake of keeping tothe point of this thread, weARE speaking of "LEGAL TRADITIONS!" We need to keep that in mind, and be respectful of others legal traditions!

Old 01-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I also agree 100%. Well said Jag!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good post Jag! I used to frown on alot of things that were mentioned, but I seen the light in the past few years! If its 100% legal have at it! I'm also a stckler for not "bending" the law, even a little! The people the Bend the law in their favor is not a good thing! [:'(] Like you said KEEP IT LEGAL-100%! Break the law, even a little, you won't have the choice next time, there might not be a next time! Tradition is what alot of hunting is about, at least in my book!
Old 01-11-2006, 03:46 PM

I couldnt agree more with you guys, everyone has diffrent hunting styles, so we should respect each others tacticsand stick together,even thou we might not all agree on things, theres one thing we all agree apon is are passion to be outdoors